Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am new posting here. Forgive me if I post to something that has already been answered.

I have a 2004 156 1.9 JTD Sportwagon, (with 76k on the clock) and I love it. Best car I have ever owned, and my first Alfa.

I have fixed a few little niggly things, airbag light, dash bulbs, cig lighter, radio.

For the past couple of days, I have noticed the temp gauge getting quite high when I am driving along - not necessarily stuck in traffic - about 3/4. I also notice that the heater doesn't blow warm air when the gauge is this high, it blows cool.

Randomly, it then drops back down after a few minutes to nearly zero - even if I have had the car running for a while.

I don't want to damage anything obviously but wondered is this something common, or something that anyone else has experienced in a 1.9 JTD, and if so what is going on...

Thanks a lot - and this forum is amazing, has helped me do all the little bits on my Alfa so far. It is a fantastic car.

Max

·
Registered
656 Posts
It could be anything from faulty sender unit , dodgy sticking thermostat, blocked radiator or blocked pipe .

·
Registered
656 Posts
Start the car when cold and feel the hoses, Right hose should be cold up until the reaches about 90 degees,there are 2 hoses that go to the heater matrix that should be hot, then thermostat opens, front right hose gets warm, radiator warms up, left hose warms up. Thats the process the cooling system goes through.

A

·
0 Posts
First advice I'd give would be to check the real temperature via a diagnostic cable + required software (Alfadiag, Unidiag, FiatECUscan, Examiner - "pro" dedicated tool). I've learned that lesson the expensive way - replaced my thermostat as the temperature wasn't going anywhere near 90, just to see the new one behaves the same. When I finally had it diagnosed, it turned out the 70C on the gauge meant in fact 80-82 C - which is the exact temperature the thermostat is supposed to open.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
airwave88; good idea... wonder if there is anybody near me with Alfadiag....?

I have quickly got around not believing any gauge in the centre console except for the clock!! Hehe.

But it would be a good idea to check; and alid1; I'll have a shufty and report back mate, cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts