Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm new here and any help would be appreciated, recently got changed from a 147 petrol to a 156 1.9 JTD, she is a 2005 and drives well, she pulls very well, the issue is she now sounds like a tractor and is a bit lumpy when at tick over. The issue lessens when she warms up, but doesn't go away. From inside the car this is really evident, but outside it doesn't seem as bad! Which has really confused me.

Was wondering if anyone has had similar symptoms with their car.

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
981 Posts
So you bought a diesel and now you're worried because it sounds like a tractor... which also has a diesel engine?

Um...

Jokes aside, lumpy idle could indicate a problem, probably sensor related and there are guys on here better qualified to answer that. Diesel engines do rattle, particularly when they get older. You could reduce the injectors 'phut', 'phut', 'phut' factor with a remap and a noisier exhaust and a tuning box will make it heat up faster as a cheap fix. Also, you can put some two stroke oil in when you fill up, it should quieten it down noticeably:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comma-TST5L...qid=1381177632&sr=8-5&keywords=two+stroke+oil

Nick

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol, thanks for the reply, when I say it sounds like a tractor, I mean it's louder than my old land rover diesels, it sounds like it's going to shake itself to pieces!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, did you find out what the problem was in the end? I have an alfa 147 and seems like she suffers from the same problem...

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Put a bit of two stroke in with the petrol. Should quieten down the injectors and smooth it out a little.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Yes JTD mJet whatever they all use the same way of injecting fuel.

Just lubes them up a little from the inside. As diesel is the fuel of Satan

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Yeah mine sounds like somebody left an old dried skellington and some spanners under the bonnet.
Right noisey clattering smelly old dirt burning oil smoke clatterbox :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Should have got the 2.4; so smooth passengers think it's a petrol. :inlove:

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Are they deaf too?

Still I'd pick the 5 pot any day.
Apart from start-up from ccccold and the 5 pot growl, she's quiet. I admit to being startled at the noise a 1.9 159 made when starting; now that was a tractor. :lol:

I really believe that a lot of the problems and noise from a diesel is that they're not driven hard enough or for long enough. Even though mine does 50 miles a day, she is even smoother and more responsive after a good run.

G

·
does it sound worse at tickover? what about with the clutch pedal down? i'm thinking DMF, my old Jag 2.0D sounded dreadful when the flywheel was packing in.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Apart from start-up from ccccold and the 5 pot growl, she's quiet. I admit to being startled at the noise a 1.9 159 made when starting; now that was a tractor. :lol:

I really believe that a lot of the problems and noise from a diesel is that they're not driven hard enough or for long enough. Even though mine does 50 miles a day, she is even smoother and more responsive after a good run.
1.9 is a noisy git :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts