Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
156 1.9 jtd driveshaft job, the same both sides? (Opdated it depends)

Hi, I was wondering if changing the driveshafts is the same job on both sides.

I have done the gearbox side, but I am unsure if the opposite side involves more parts.

If so, is there a writeup or guide anywhere?

EDIT: There are two versions of the right side driveshaft, split type resembles the left side. Whole type that goes into the gearbox.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've changed this shaft once which took most of the day working slow and steady - the length of the shaft is obviously longer with a 'spider joint' half way along - it's this joint that had worn for me and was causing vibration at speed.
The following link has an image of the whole longer drive shaft.

The removal of the hub/CV joint will be much the same as the short shaft side - making enough room to get the CV shaft out of the hub. There will be a bearing clamp on the shaft to support the shaft part way along bolted to a gearbox bracket, but once removed the 'cup' and shaft that goes into the gearbox can be pulled out of the gearbox final drive.

The shaft I got was from these guys and it came boxed, complete as shown - the bonus is I could remove the worn shaft in pieces, but the replacement went in easily as a 'whole'. I spent some time working out how to refill the gearbox with oil once done - through the dipstick hole on the back of the gearbox - which I won't have to work out again!!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
It's effectively the same job, you pull the shaft out with the "mid shaft". There are 3 bolts that hold it in the mount on the back of the engine, but they're easy enough to get at.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have manage to create an oil leak from the trans mission. The description and method was pretty much the same as raingod said. I need to replace the transmssion seal tha is leaking.

·
Vendor
45,442 Posts
11 is Silicone RTV, used for sealing the diff housing to the rest of the gearbox.

Sounds like you need a pair of driveshaft seals and the O-rings which live behind the seal housings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts