Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago, my auxiliary belt snapped. No further damage done. Had the belt changed and thought that was the end of it. Wrong!

Less than 2k later, the second and new belt snapped, therefore further investigation was warranted.

There were no signs of movement or play or any damage to any of the pulleys. The crankshaft pulley has previously been changed. Now the tensioner and alternator pulley have also been changed. The a/c is not gassed so no pressure being put through there. However, the belt is still jumping over the tensioner so therefore is a high chance it will jump off or snap again.

We are at a loss. Can anyone suggest why the belt is still jumping?

Thanks! Any advice or suggestions will be most appreciated!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I can only think of a possible issue with AC pulley clutch. It is possibly catching occasionally and turning the compressor which will not be lubricated.

It may be possible to get a clue when it just happens by feeling for a hot pulley. That would need fitting a new belt though.

As the Pratola Serra engines are modular, does the JTD also have a 100mm or 110mm plain plastic idler pulley like TS & JTS (I cannot remember).
If so and if you are not planning to use the AC again, the idler pulley can be removed and a shorter belt used.

If it was power steering (very unlikely), seizure of the PAS drive pulley would cause the steering weight to change before and obviously after the belt snaps.

·
Vendor
46,581 Posts
Remove the top idler and fit the shorter non-AC belt. It will pass around power steering pump, alternator, tensioner and crank pulley only. See if this resolves your problem, if it does then the issue is likely related to A/C compressor. If it doesn't resolve the problem, then at least you've eliminated a possibility.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Remove the top idler and fit the shorter non-AC belt. It will pass around power steering pump, alternator, tensioner and crank pulley only. See if this resolves your problem, if it does then the issue is likely related to A/C compressor. If it doesn't resolve the problem, then at least you've eliminated a possibility.
Hi Dan, we were chatting about this on Saturday morning. My sources suggest a 1038 belt for these engine with out aircon fitted.

Hope this helps someone ...:glasses:

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
A couple of months ago, my auxiliary belt snapped. No further damage done. Had the belt changed and thought that was the end of it. Wrong!

Less than 2k later, the second and new belt snapped, therefore further investigation was warranted.

There were no signs of movement or play or any damage to any of the pulleys. The crankshaft pulley has previously been changed. Now the tensioner and alternator pulley have also been changed. The a/c is not gassed so no pressure being put through there. However, the belt is still jumping over the tensioner so therefore is a high chance it will jump off or snap again.

We are at a loss. Can anyone suggest why the belt is still jumping?

Thanks! Any advice or suggestions will be most appreciated!
To add if the ac clutch is coming in and turning the pump , it would seriouslydestroy the belt and smoke a lot . A faulty pressure switch on the A/C SYSTEM CAUSE THIS , BUT THEN YOU WOULD KNOW IF THAT IS HAPPENING , FROM THE BURNING SMELL! If it is coming on you can disconnect the plug on top of the compressor to stop it.
Is the tensioner partially seized?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts