Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

Last autumn the car had its clutch and flywheel replaced with a single mass flywheel and GTA clutch, also the left hand side drive shaft was replaced (JR). After this the car ran fine, no judder only miniscule vibration @2k rpm. Now Over half a year later the car has developed judder at 1400-1600 & 2400-2600 when under load, for example when pulling of in 2nd or 3rd gear. Also, when cold I now have (big) trouble shifting to 2nd gear and a light crunch when going to 3rd.

The clutch is otherwise engaging perfectly smooth. Also when free reving there is no vibration.

If somebody have any idea how to start trouble shooting before pulling the gearbox I would be very happy. :byebye:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not what I was hoping to hear from someone who's been running with the SMF and GTA clutch for less than a year. I'm in the process of getting my GT booked in for the same conversion, might need to reconsider, but will be interesting to see people's thoughts.

I can see this thread getting some attention.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I strongly suspect though that it has nothing to do with the kit as it was working very good in the beginning. How can I determine if it is in the gearbox or at the clutch?

Not what I was hoping to hear from someone who's been running with the SMF and GTA clutch for less than a year. I'm in the process of getting my GT booked in for the same conversion, might need to reconsider, but will be interesting to see people's thoughts.

I can see this thread getting some attention.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Input shaft bearing wear can cause clutch judder.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
This kit has proven to be reliable, I've not come across any failures. Its a shame we can't get warranty on this clutch when fitted to the 1.9 (as its designed for a V6) but reliability wise there isn't much to worry about.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I suppose there's no alternative to just open it up and have a look.. Will in that case have a go at it tomorrow.

There is also a very small vibration vhen releasing the cluth in neutral, but not sure if that is related at all.

When I think about it, the DMF had been so shot that the clutch had touched the bell house, maybe at the same time wrecking the bearing.

Small metallic whirr/grind when clutch is engaged compared to disengaged in neutral. Let's see how this goes.
I suppose the bearing can be found in a regular bearing shop, but the seal needs to be orderered specifically for this alfa model.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anybody know if it is possible to remove gearbox from bellhouse with bellhouse still attached to the engine so I can check the input shaft bearing?

·
Registered
446 Posts
yes . .It Isn't

You had the flywheel changed a while back, that means drive shafts out. check the gearbox oil level before you do anything else. You lose a bit during that operation and sometimes the YTS kid putting it back together can forget to top it up again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes . .It Isn't

You had the flywheel changed a while back, that means drive shafts out. check the gearbox oil level before you do anything else. You lose a bit during that operation and sometimes the YTS kid putting it back together can forget to top it up again.
Thanks for heads up, was a bit short on time so only managed to dismantle a bit, did not get to the gearbox.
Is the input shaft the 25 or 27mm variant? They don't seem expensive and it may take a few days before I have time to get at it again. IF it is the bearing, is it doable without any exclusive tools?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so there seems to be some small (less than the mm) metal (black) shavings in the gearbox oil.. Indicates that it would need to be opened up?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts