Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TWO fault codes on MES screen - P1689 (stored) which can be cleared by F10 click, and P1688 (FATAL) which cannot be cleared.
When I tried to start her up this afternoon, engine would not start, and the info display briefly showed a message 'EBD Failure' (I think: it was on display very briefly).

I'll attach the fault codes screengrab, which has some very generic advice on what to do, in the lower right dialoguue box, together with a screengrab of the 'Parameters' page with the four relevant parameters ticked. Three of these seem to be OK - the fourth 'Self Learning' is not active. Should it be?

Members of this forum have helped me out numerous times in the past (thanks, guys) and I'm really hoping for some diagnostic/fix this time, as, it goes without saying, I have a dead Alfa sitting outside. :weeping:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Were you starting from cold? The engine temperature reading seems odd........

Also if its accurate, the battery voltage reading means you have a flat battery, which could also account for the "EBD" message.......

Don't think the throttle errors would stop the car starting.....and could also be linked to a low battery....

Reactions: Jim Burton

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Low battery voltage - probable cause

My thanks to you for your eagle-eyed sifting through the stats and nailing of probable cause.
I did note the sluggish cranking speed and have removed the battery for charging.
It was a cold start - the reported engine temperature of 51oC is just plain weird - the car hadn't run for three days!
It's a relief to hear that the throttle faults codes would not normally prevent a cold start, but low battery would.

(My previous posts have detailed a long-standing problem with battery drain due to the radio switching on when the car is parked up - as it is - for days on end. I had thought to have 'fixed' this by not entering the radio code, but I'm guessing it is still ticking away in the background as it periodically flashes up 'enter code - - - -' That radio is number one suspect and is coming out as soon as I can find a wire coat hanger:yes:.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like a faulty temp sensor to me look's like it's showing a warm engine reading so the ecu will not put enough fuel in for a cold start. I think the sensor has 4 wires to it and is in the top of the thermostat using. These can cause all sorts of problems on cars in general

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a faulty temp sensor to me look's like it's showing a warm engine reading so the ecu will not put enough fuel in for a cold start. I think the sensor has 4 wires to it and is in the top of the thermostat using. These can cause all sorts of problems on cars in general
That again, is some sound reasoning - thank you scooterman.

Being baffled by the under-bonnet array of original fitments, I'll need a routemap to where the 'temp sensor' of which you speak is located - I seem to remember a photo on this site with all the components listed? I'll search in the morning.

But, your diagnosis does collate with previous 'refuse-to-start' scenarios that I have encountered this winter, where on recent cold-and-frosty mornings, Alfa would play dead - and yet, in the afternoon would spark up, like nothing ever happened.

And then you reckon, replace temp sensor with a new one and Dead Alfa springs to life!
Greets to all...This site keeps my Alfa on the road.
:thumbup: Thanks to all contributors

·
Registered
14 Posts
Take the air pipe from the filter using to the throttle body off(runs alongside the battery). And look on the side of the cylinder head the thermostat using has about 4 pipes to it and the sensor is in the top of the using I think you will need a 19 or 21 mm open ended spanner to get it out. Pretty sure the ts is the same layout as the jts engine so you should be ok

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
I'd agree that, given that reading at a cold start, the starting problem would be aggravated by the ECU sending insufficient fuel - though a fully charged battery would probably overcome it.

Definitely worth changing the temp sensor.

Reactions: Jim Burton

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys - I've found the temp sensor, and will change it for a new one.
At a guess, there's going to be a flood of coolant squirting out when I unscrew the sensor:nervous: - any tips?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unscrew the coolant cap to release any pressure then put it back on as normal. The coolant shouldn't run out to much as the only place air can get in is through the sensor hole and as water is trying to get out if you are quick changing the sensor only a drop should come out. I also recommend getting an original sensor, the lads at alfaworkshop are really helpful and you can order online through their site

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it - that doesn't sound too dramatic. Thanks for quick comeback.:thumbup:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Before you do anything else start with charging the battery, a flat battery gives all kind of non existing faults
After charging retry and see what happens

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
Got it - that doesn't sound too dramatic. Thanks for quick comeback.:thumbup:
Cover the hole in the top of the belhousing ... that leads straight to the clutch.

Just be ready with a well-placed thumb over the sender hole and have the new one close to hand to screw back in .. you will lose coolant but you can minimise it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts