Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night while driving up a hill, the car lurched and the engine management light came on, the beeper went of and Motor Control warning came up on the central display and it started running really rough...like it was on 2 1/2 cylinders.

So I have driven it home and parked it up and apart from a cursory glance to determine nothing obvious was hanging off, I haven't had a chance to look at it.

What advice would you give to me as to where I should start?

Cambelt changed a few months ago, its been running really well this last few days after 4 distance trips in the last week. Luckily for me, it did this a mile from home.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Usual culprits I'd guess are MAF and coil packs, I'd suggest you have an ignition coil or 2 out.

Easy to check, start with the one nearest the oil cap, as the well can get filled when topping up.

Alternatively, if you can get to a garage, have the fault code read, this should give an indication of the fault.

Be sure to repost the code and description here, someone will be able to help

·
Registered
439 Posts
Buy a Bluetooth odb reader and get torque app for an android phone and you can read and reset fault codes yourself ....if its the same as my GT. Not expensive either off ebay

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice

Thank you for the advice so far...I will see if I can get someone to plug it in an see what comes back.

Now this might be a silly question but if I cant find anyone with a reader, how do I test a coil pack?

G

·
0 Posts
To be honest you need to find out by a code reader which cylinder has the fault then swap the coil pack with another cylinder and see if the problem moves to the one you have swapped.
Also it will give you codes that may help if it isn't the coil pack.
What have you looked at so far?

G

·
0 Posts
I have a basic one but I'm over in hove so not just next door .there are a couple of members over your way .put a new post up for someone in your area see what happens:thumbs:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MAF not working

Thanks for all your replies so far.

I haven't been able to get the car plugged in anywhere yet but tonight a friend and I started the car and it was still running rough.

He unplugged the MAF sensor and nothing changed...we plugged it backin and nothing changed, it was still running rough.

Now my simple layman's logic would say that has pointed 100% at the MAF. Does that sound logical to you experts?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
961 Posts
If it didn't improve on unplugging the MAF then it's unlikely to be the culprit I would suggest.

Coil pack, or perhaps plugs. As has been mentioned you need to read the fault code(s) to proceed really.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Code Reader in Eastbourne?

Does anyone know of anyone with a code reader in Eastbourne?

I am skint right now and the best I can find is a garage who want £25!

Thanks in advance!

G

·
0 Posts
One of the things that can happen is oil getting past the filler neck or the cam cover gasket.
I think this was mentioned earlier.
If you take the top cover off and one at a time remove the coil packs.(start at the left side nearest the cambelt cover) you'll need either a torx or Allen key to undo them. Take it out and look to see if there is any oil anywhere . Use a torch to check the recess the coil pack goes in and look again for signs of oil .
If you find there is oil then thoroughly clean use some brake cleaner to clean up inside the rubber covers on the coil packs .
Use plenty of kitchen roll to clean down the holes this will help soak up any oil.
If you find oil there is a good chance that you need a new cam cover gasket. It is possible the oil has come from clumsy filling aswell.
When you are sure you have soaked up the oil remove and clean the plug,replace the plugs (2 per cyl) clean and check the contacts on the wiring connection of the coil pack and then replace.
Do this for all the cylinders .
See how you go .
It could be if you find oil that you have had a short in the plug/coil and may need changing .
But untill you can get a scanner on it you could be going round in circles.
This may not help but its one thing you have checked that needs to be kept an eye on .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cleaning up the coil packs

One of the things that can happen is oil getting past the filler neck or the cam cover gasket.
I think this was mentioned earlier.
If you take the top cover off and one at a time remove the coil packs.(start at the left side nearest the cambelt cover) you'll need either a torx or Allen key to undo them. Take it out and look to see if there is any oil anywhere . Use a torch to check the recess the coil pack goes in and look again for signs of oil .
If you find there is oil then thoroughly clean use some brake cleaner to clean up inside the rubber covers on the coil packs .
Use plenty of kitchen roll to clean down the holes this will help soak up any oil.
If you find oil there is a good chance that you need a new cam cover gasket. It is possible the oil has come from clumsy filling aswell.
When you are sure you have soaked up the oil remove and clean the plug,replace the plugs (2 per cyl) clean and check the contacts on the wiring connection of the coil pack and then replace.
Do this for all the cylinders .
See how you go .
It could be if you find oil that you have had a short in the plug/coil and may need changing .
But untill you can get a scanner on it you could be going round in circles.
This may not help but its one thing you have checked that needs to be kept an eye on .
Thanks for this post. I stopped by Halfords and got Brake & Clutch cleaner. I cleaned all the leads, plugs, coils and there was indeed oil in the area around pack for No 1 Cylinder.
But it didn't work - however, I think that I have identified that it doesn't run any different when I disconnected that pack but any of the others made it run even rougher...

Does that sound logical?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Good work, you've traced the fault to no 1 cylinder and proven 2, 3 & 4 to be working. Suggest you swap no 1 coil pack to another cylinder and see if the fault moves with it or stays on no 1.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still not working

Thanks for all your advice up to this point.

So I have been away and skint because of it so I haven't made any progress with the car until today.

I was confident that the coil packs were at fault that I got a new set from AutoLusso delivered to me.

I put these on and no difference. I disconnected the battery so as to try and clear the fault code but still no difference when I put it back on.

So where next - is it likely to be the MAF after all and is their a smart way to identify that?

I would love to get the codes red but I am so skint that I cant afford the £40 to get it done.

Help!

Thanks in advance

James

·
Registered
439 Posts
MAF disconnect it and take it for a drive, it wont idle well put it should drive well for sure. If the problem still remains when its unplugged then you know its not the MAF

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Thanks for all your advice up to this point.

So I have been away and skint because of it so I haven't made any progress with the car until today.

I was confident that the coil packs were at fault that I got a new set from AutoLusso delivered to me.

I put these on and no difference. I disconnected the battery so as to try and clear the fault code but still no difference when I put it back on.

So where next - is it likely to be the MAF after all and is their a smart way to identify that?

I would love to get the codes red but I am so skint that I cant afford the £40 to get it done.

Help!

Thanks in advance

James

Did you just change the coil packs or the HT cable that connect them to each other and did you use the same connecting logic some connect two plugs to same coil pack, others connect 1 to 3 and 2 to 4? Plus did you make sure the small brown earth cable was reattached?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts