Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an intermitten problem with my Alfa 156 1.8TS. On acceleration it dies, almost stalls, but if you ease of accelerator and then accelerate again it will go OK.
It is intermittent, fine some days, and then not for some. Disconnecting the MAF makes no difference. When you first start up sometimes you have to give it plenty of revs to pull away, other times its fine.
Any suggestions?
Cheerts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Check spark plug wells for oil spillage from any recent top ups. Mine had similar symptoms.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Mine was running smoother than a smooth.... thing, before I fitted a new air filter (standard type) and cleaned the MAF.
Now its doing what you described. My 1st thoughts are MAF as It's the only part I messed with.

·
Registered
66 Posts
mine had the spark plug/oil in the well problem too. ended up changing the rocker gasket and gave the plugs a good clean. did the job....might be worth running some redex injector cleaner through it when u next fill up too...even if that doesnt turn out to be the problem at least they'll work better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds like Throttle potentiometer located on the side of the throttle body held in place with a few torx screws.
Cheers for replies, I'll check sparkplug well tomo.

Deano8c, you say the Throttle potentiometer, do you suggest just giving it a clean or replacement. If it's this will it show up on a diagnostic check.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had similar problem on my 156 1.8, I taught it was spark plugs too but in the end it was the cam shaft sensor. Got a new one bosch €45.00 replace no problems.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cheers for replies, I'll check sparkplug well tomo.

Deano8c, you say the Throttle potentiometer, do you suggest just giving it a clean or replacement. If it's this will it show up on a diagnostic check.

Cheers

Yes this should show up on a diagnostic. I would recommend the replacement of a new one as cleaning may not have any affect on the part .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts