Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 156 has recently started overheating occasionally. Sometimes it'll be fine, will sit at 80 degrees all day and the heater will blow nice and warm, but other days it heats up and the heater blows cold. I've noticed that when it does this, the bottom radiator hose is stone cold, although the top hose is hot. I've flushed and backflushed the cooling system (it didn't seem to be overly sludged up) and bled it several times but it hasn't solved the problem.

A couple of people have suggested that the water pump may be on its way out and the impeller is sometimes slipping on the shaft, but I've not come across this problem on a TS before, and from what I can make out the impellers on these are metal anyway, with only the V6s having a plastic impeller. Does anyone have any bright ideas? Don't want to fork out for a water pump / cambelt replacement if the problem is something else...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Because the heater blows cold when the engine heats up, I'd say your problem is more likely to be in the heater part of the circuit, maybe the control valve, or in the heater itself, rather than a water pump issue... Or maybe something to do with the thermostat, as that shuts off the heater feed when cold. You need some more knowledgable advice than mine though, I'm no Alfa expert, just hoping to ease your fears about having to do a front of engine stripdown...!

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
When it does it, can you see coolant flowing through the small hose into the top of the coolant tank?

When are you next due a cambelt change?

·
Registered
17 Posts
same happened to mine, i never found out the fault, but i ****ed my engine, an would suggest that u dont drive the car, untill u get it properly seen too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When it does it, can you see coolant flowing through the small hose into the top of the coolant tank?

When are you next due a cambelt change?
No coolant flowing back into the expansion tank, and the coolant in the tank is cold as well. The cambelt was done about 8,000 miles ago (not long before I bought the car) - not sure if the water pump was done at the same time, but I'm guessing probably not.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The water is not circulating around the system so i wud say that the water pump impellor is spinning independantly from the pump pulley, stick a new pump on it....

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
Yep, waterpump is fu**ed...!

Cambelt job needed to change it too...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts