Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 2001 156 1.8 for 4 months and about 4k miles, and never any starting issues...until today.

It has never failed to start on the button, but today i had to crank the ar$e off it before it would fire......

Any common issue that might cause this? Drives fine and i haven't been out to start it again since as its Baltic outside! Hoping the old girl will get up and go in the morning!

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Was this the first start of the day?

Could be weather-related - coolant temperature sensor would be prime suspect.

How's the antifreeze in the coolant?
Any unusual lights on the dash (eg the Code light) while you were cranking it?
How much fuel is in it?

If it happens again, try unplugging the sensor connector on top of the thermostat and see if it fires into life.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was this the first start of the day?

Could be weather-related - coolant temperature sensor would be prime suspect.

How's the antifreeze in the coolant?
Any unusual lights on the dash (eg the Code light) while you were cranking it?
How much fuel is in it?

If it happens again, try unplugging the sensor connector on top of the thermostat and see if it fires into life.
It was the first start of the day, about 1/2 a tank of fuel and the car was on a level surface when parked over night.

Coolant is fresh from a week ago when i drained the system to change the thermostat (anout 70:30 coolant:water), didn't notice any lights on the dash, and started fine the 2 times i have tried since......

Where is the coolant temp sensor?

·
Registered
174 Posts
The coolant sensor is located in the thermostat housing, that's bolted onto the passenger side of the cylinder head and has a big fat hose going to the radiator from it.

If that doesn't work try unplugging/cleaning the contacts on the fuel pump relay (this is located under the cover in front of the battery - the cover should show you which relay it is)

i had the same problem about 2 months ago, cleaned up the relay contacts and it has never returned - god i hope i havent just jinxed myself !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts