Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys a friend come today with his 156 1.8 t spark 2004,after a head gasket and timing belt replace which i have reasons to believe was done properly [with my cam tools ha ha],but she is using 50l petrol for 100km equal to about 3 miles per galon astronomic by me,and confusing because its running perfect not a tremor from the engine.i ran a diagnostic and about 3 billion codes came up and after i replaced the maf that disappeared but still got loads other staying .i put up a screen shot with the christmas tree below if anybody have any idea please.thanks in advance.:alien:

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hi guys a friend come today with his 156 1.8 t spark 2004,after a head gasket and timing belt replace which i have reasons to believe was done properly [with my cam tools ha ha],but she is using 50l petrol for 100km equal to about 3 miles per galon astronomic by me,and confusing because its running perfect not a tremor from the engine.i ran a diagnostic and about 3 billion codes came up and after i replaced the maf that disappeared but still got loads other staying .i put up a screen shot with the christmas tree below if anybody have any idea please.thanks in advance.:alien:
nobody?i have replaced 3 lambdas and oil switch today and its the same so i am going on a mined field here.at this point i suspect a earth or positive that feeds all the above actuators was damaged on the tb,head replace and have no electrical skills as where to look.i already checked all conectors and all in place,any help please?:paranoid:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Can you not see the fuel trims and look at what the injector opening times are like.
Should be around 3-4ms whilst at idle.

Up to around 15-18ms at wide open throttle.

Anything past that will be just dumping fuel into the cylinders for fun.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
No idea on a TS engine, but I got that sort "its all knackered" result on the GT when a mouse had eaten some wiring - only 1 wire actually eaten, but it messed up a lot of sensors. 10 minutes with the soldering iron had it all fixed.

You sure something is not disconnected? Earth point on the head like the V6?

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
I assume it's actual measured consumption, and not some silly number thrown up by the trip computer ?

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
It would be very difficult to actually use that amount of fuel - that's higher than you'd get running at full throttle on the track......

Have you got the earths connected onto the coil pack bracket and to the throttle body.......

I'd also check for bent pins on the ECU connectors.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no fuel leak,all earths checked, all plugs,no ecu bent pins,actual fuel measured and its using 20 l per 100 km now after maf,3 lambdas and oil switch replace.after every code delete the oil switch and u 1700 remains on with the engine off.after starting all above come in couple seconds:paranoid:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I didn't even think the injectors could flow that much fuel through at all.

Can you not view the fuel trims to see what the injectors are actually doing and how long they are opening for?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
all rechecked today all good plugged no loose connections on anything replaced the spark plugs topped oil,the same.i runned a live data and there is no fuel trim at all not long term ft or short term ft all zero idle or revving,fuel system fault at idle and above 2000 rpm but ok between.he did a tb replace ,2 valves on no 3, head skimmed and new gasket ,after that all this came up; phase variator,oil pressure switch, evap valve 2 front lambda heaters and u 1700 ecu not communicating with a sensor or other ecus.found a little grease or oil in the first ecu plug so clean it well still nothing.at this point i think the ecu its gone.otherwise engine running smooth performance to the top no smoke or petrol smell :smoker:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No idea on a TS engine, but I got that sort "its all knackered" result on the GT when a mouse had eaten some wiring - only 1 wire actually eaten, but it messed up a lot of sensors. 10 minutes with the soldering iron had it all fixed.

You sure something is not disconnected? Earth point on the head like the V6?
it may be some sunshine in your idea with one wire broken as i am getting oil press switch error even with the engine off,and new sensor in place,so i will replace the single wire from switch to ecu plug see what its happening .thanks

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
maybe that oil got into the connector cable too. clean it inside with isopropylalcohol. check the other ECU connector. reset all fault codes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
replaced the oil sensor cable from the sensor to the ecu still the same ;oil pressure sensor circuit?and i get no fuel trim at all,all 4 injectors longft or shrtft works on default?:censored:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sort it:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.well in a way.found water in the big connector behind the ecu,that plug gathers wires from all the sensors on the back of the engine ex variator solenoid, manifold flaps etc as i seen unfolding all the insulation.blow with the compressor and all gone and good no more engine management light on consumption back normal BUT upon interrogating the ecu still oil pressure sensor circuit fault with no light on.i suspect the circuit to the clocks or the clocks faulty.anyway all good so **** it one error on a alfa its reasonable.:jester::jester:

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
:thumbup: definitely Excellent news!
but check that oil pressure error. don't want to run your precious TS engine on low oil :irked:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts