Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, getting a bit stuck! - this is a bit of a long one, so thanks for your patiance!!!

My 1.8 dosen't have the power it should, struggles 60 - 80 on the motorway, and only gets upto 95. Up hill only 70ish flat out. Also arround town it dosent have any acceleration. But it seems fine from cold for a minute or two.

When I bought the car I knew it needed a few thing, mainly a cambelt so thought the timing would help with the problem. My first money went on the cambelt, variator and accesorries (didnt want that one going!)this didn't improve the performance drastically. After reading lots of threads, I changed the MAF, again this is better but still only a tiny bit (did an ECU reset) Then an ECU light came on - garage said this was the llambda sensor and that the manifold was blowing. I have also noticed a slight rattle from the front cats. The MOT Emmissions failed on cold, but passed when warm (would this be fair to say the back cat is working, but the front ones are fooked?) I thought that maybe there was a blockage on the front cat increasing manifold pressure and creating a hole, this then let more oxygen in, creating an incorrect lambda reading putting the car into a wrong fuel mix/safty mode. (seems fine when car is cold and on standard fuel map?) the ECU light was cleared by the garage so is not on now.

This sort of made sense but I have been thinking about it for a while, need some fresh eyes - the thing that is a bit odd is its running a bit hot, fan is on a lot (90 - 100oc) Is this a symptom, or could this be the root?

not sure what to do next new cats/llamdas/or investigate heating system

Any Takers!!

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Heating 1st .... over heat and you wont have to worry about the slow car s it will go bang in the night. Fit a thermostat and move on fron there?

What mileage is up on it?

Sparks would be my next change after thermostat and if not done air filter ..!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
110k on the miles, Forgot to add, Garage changed the temp sensor an this seemed to help for a while, they said the water was not actually that hot. I Think the thermostat is a good idea. seems to go up to 95 - 100 before dropping back to 90 95 is this the fan or the thermostat opening? Sparks prob need doing as well as filter - maybe the temp and power loss are not connected?

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
It could be a lot of different things. head gasket ok? whats the oil look like? and the water? are all the sensors working for the ecu? Are all 3 cats ok or is one of them decomposing? what about the injectors are they all working ok? bent, stuck valve? Blocked air intake? All the coils working? Broken ignition lead? Oh is the alternator ok - if the bearings have gone it would put a big load on the engine but it would sound different.

Had a phonic wheel shift on my 159 which showed up as a lambda problem but wasn't. Ended up sounding like a tractor though (ECU cannot tell what phase the camshaft is in). Whats the engines compression like?

I can't think of anything else!

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
i think andypj has covered everything that i didn't:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
....but sods law says it will be something else!

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Andypj, I think i'll get started on checking the oil and water, and air intake - Start with the simple! Timing belt was done only a few hundred miles ago so that should be ok. How do I check if the coils are working properly? and the injectors? cheers, will keep you updated.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Well my best answer is....I don't know, but I'm sure someone on here will know.

Just had another thought: has it got a 'sport' air filter - one that needs oiling? the only reason I ask is because the oil vapour can mess up your MAF sensor and.....well you know the rest!

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
....saw this and thought of you!

Posted by: koffmatarr
On: 14-10-2008 08:56

Can I just add another recommendation for Jamie Porter at the Alfa Workshop in Royston, Herts.

My 156 developed the "Motor System Control Failure" problem and started driving like it was "tied to a very large tree" as Jamie put it.

I turned up without a booking and Jamie took the car straight in, giving me a 156 2.0 TS 156 as a courtesy car without any notice at all. The problem was quickly traced to a split vacuum hose and I received a phone call less than an hour later to say that the problem was fixed and that I could pick up my car whenever I wanted.

All done for a very reasonable price with a smile, good humour and an enthusiasm for Alfa Romeo that you could just feel in the air.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
problem solved

The overheating was a combination of a decomposing rad and a fooked stat. now sits on 87 pretty much all the time (appart from in summer traffic) the power loss turned out to be one of the front cats had dissintegrated and turned sideways where they join into one pipe again!! (the manifold was blowing, a clue to extra pressure, and the plugs were sooty) that was 10 months ago now, and having just returned from a 3000 mile trip to spain the car is great. Thanks for all the replys, helped me get thinking out of the box and a big thumbs up to DJ autos Swansea for fab commitment to the diag.!!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Had the same cat problem on my Minari with a 33 1.7 16v engine. Took it to the rolling road - max power 75bhp. Found (by accident) that the broken cat matrix was blocking the exhaust pipe. Return to rolling road - max power140bhp!
well done for finding someone who could identify the problem.
Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts