Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, My names jonce and am asking a question for my buddy Matt as he has no internet.

So ,here goes......he's only had the car for about 6 weeks. The problem occured 2 days ago. he was driving back from work when his Alfa started to loose power. It seemed like the fuel had run out. He changed down a gear and revs dropped again. So he managed to struggle to get to a garage (2 Mins) and roll in. Put some fuel in. Still no go. Just turns over. Nothing. Im going to check for spark in a minute. Hes at work at the moment and i believe he never ran out of fuel.
Are there any sensors on these that can cause no starting like that. Also the accelerator pedal has gone very light to press down.:cry:

Any help please!!!!

P.S no warning light came on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same happened to mine last year and turned out to be ecu, got it refurbed picked up and delivered for about £300. The auto electrician came out and did free diagnostic test for me as well.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same happened to mine last year and turned out to be ecu, got it refurbed picked up and delivered for about £300. The auto electrician came out and did free diagnostic test for me as well.:)
Matey, who was the electrician was he from down south way??;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well checked for spark and got spark on all cylinders. Checked for fuel and got fuel at fuel rail. So not the pump HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL:cry: :confused: :rant:

·
Vendor
47,143 Posts
Crank sensor.. Is the problem still happening or has it gone away? Does it do it when its stone cold, or only when its warm?

·
Vendor
47,143 Posts
Also thinking it could be air mass meter.. Is there an error light on the dashbord, next to the redine on the tachometer?

You could try unplugging the air mass meter which sits on top of the airbox on the inlet tract on the way to the throttle body. The car should run without it plugged in, if it runs better you need a new one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buddy, the car stopped 2 days ago and not gone since. Seems mad cus he was just driving and the car seemed to slow down rev wise. Lost all power!!!:mad: So not sure what it is. Don't know what to check next without diagnostic check. Do i have to get it plugged in or is there a way the car can "talk to me'as such!!

cheers

Crank sensor.. Is the problem still happening or has it gone away? Does it do it when its stone cold, or only when its warm?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
buddy, tried that yesterday still doesnt run, what can i pull out next then mate!!!!!!

Also thinking it could be air mass meter.. Is there an error light on the dashbord, next to the redine on the tachometer?

You could try unplugging the air mass meter which sits on top of the airbox on the inlet tract on the way to the throttle body. The car should run without it plugged in, if it runs better you need a new one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi, does the car start at all or does it just turn over? If it just turns over does it just spin freely as if it has no compression?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sounds about right mate to be honest. it certainly doesnt seem to turn over as it normaly does, so what does that mean then
cheers

·
Vendor
47,143 Posts
I would consider changing the crank sensor. Its rare, but it could have completely let go. Normally it just fails when hot, but works again when cold. Anyway, its a cheap part and easy to replace.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How much would it be to replace?? Any diagrams on here to give some pointers in location of the sensor before we delve into the depths of the engine. Thanks for all the info everyone.:thumbs: Its always a panic when you get a new sort of car that you ain't got a clue about:cry: :D

I would consider changing the crank sensor. Its rare, but it could have completely let go. Normally it just fails when hot, but works again when cold. Anyway, its a cheap part and easy to replace.

·
Vendor
47,143 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
The crank sensor is at the back of the engine below the starter motor, the wire runs up to the back of the inlet manifold and has a brown plug at the end. the sensor is fastened to the engine block with a 5mm allen key bolt. I have to say though that it really doesn't sound like a crank sensor problem, it does sound like a stripped cambelt, if i were you i would take the spark plugs out and do a compression test, if you have no compression it will be the cambelt, if i can help in any way feel free to give me a call.I'm not allowed to advertise my numbers on here but our website can be easily found, just put a .co.uk after my user name on this site.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
omg this is killing me. had the motor compresion tested today and it read 20,30,35, and 45 psi when its meant to be between 150 and 170 psi. what can you sugest i do now guys.:cry:

·
Vendor
47,143 Posts
Well its not crank sensor then, it must be cambelt. Sorry mate, looks like its engine rebuild or recon engine time :(

Where abouts are you based?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts