Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well last week my check engine light came on, and engine started running a bit rough. Took it into Lombarda Carriage in Ladbrook Grove hoping it was a sensor issue.

They advised that there was no compression on number 3 cyl. After pulling the head off, they've found that the exhaust valves were gone causing the loss of compression. They also noted that number 2's valves weren't looking too good.

As to why they've gone, the only reason that comes to mind is when I bought the car I discovered the thermostat was stuck open (as are many it seems). I replaced it soon after, but apparently there are substantial carbon deposits.

So the damage, well they want £1300 all in to replace 8 valves, re-port the head, new plugs gaskets and all that good stuff (just had the timing done 6 weeks ago!). So opinions on whether to bother would be appreciated. The car has 58k on the clock and I'm very fond of it. On the flip side I only paid £1,400 in November.

So any suggestions as to what one might do in my place would be appreciated. Also if anyone has any experience with Lombarda it would be appreciated.

Thanks, James

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
personaly, i would get thecar fixed, you will know for sure you have a good engine that way, if you get another car you wont know for definate the condition of the engine internals :thumbs:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts