Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've always wanted an alfa and finally ive got a chance to get one but im a little stuck on what to get both the 156 1.6 and 1.8 are in my price range the money i save by buying the 1.8 i get back on the insurance for the 1.6 so they are both even so which one is better is the 1.6 more economical or will i miss the power of the 1.8? or are they about the same and its down to spec only?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
120 bhp or 140/144 bhp - I have owned two 1.8s which were more than capable, i doubt that there is much difference in mpg (but maybe someone will say different!?)

The 1.8 is more common so probably easier on parts etc. But it has got to be down to individual condition and drive if you have narrowed it down to two specific cars.

ALL THE BEST!:)

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
i had the 1.8 156 and have also driven a 1.6 147 different cars i know but the performance was very similar between the 2 the difference was hardly noticeable same regarding rh fuel consumption too very similar figures, I'd concentrate more on finding a good clean example with no rust and full service history etc etc rather than worrying too much about engine size,

just out of curiosity what's your budget?

A

·
0 Posts
1.8, as mentioned parts are as cheap as your going to get with a 156 and why not have the extra oomph on tap? You will always be wondering with the 1.6...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Mine's a 1.6 veloce and it's a snail up to about 3000rpm then it flies to the red line, about 35mpg maybe a little more if you stay off the right foot but you do need supreme self control. If it was a bike it'd be a Suzuki RG250 or a CBR400. I borrowed Alfa Tecnico's 1.8 courtesy car for a few days when mine was in for repair and there is a big difference in performance and fuel economy, only 30 ish mpg but it's more of a buzz bomb. 80mph at 3000rpm compared to 3300rpm in the 1.6 and more grunt below 3000rpm too, but the insurance on my 1.6 is £65 cheaper than a 1.8 and at the end of the day wht do you use your car for the most? Getting from a to b and getting stuck in traffic. Either will give you some serious grins in the handling and pure class departments though. :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
nooo not the 1.6 whatever you do. 1.8 is the best petrol 156 (apart from the V6 of course).
:tut::tut:

...they're all fun....it's just you need to put your right foot down a wee bit more the smaller the engine....but when it gets there,you'll have a large grin on your bake !!

I moved from 2.0 to 1.6...bit of getting used to but now it's fine..just change up over 3500rpm and you'll be flying !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone who replied, i have to admit though a 156 is my 2nd choice i'm after a 166 2.0 but rarity is a problem there i find the interior looks a bit funny without leather. my budget is about £1000 i've seen a half decent 1.8 156 on autotrader for 490 with MOT but slight damage on the back they dont mention service history though :/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ahhh yes i know about the cambelt, its the same with all twin sparks isnt it? i once had a 2.0 selespeed it lasted 2 hours from the dealer used to overheat and cut out every 20 mins or so was interesting haha. But i havent been put off alfa's at all

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
The 166 is a totally different league from the 156 - if you want the later then hold out for your choice. Keep in on the 164/166 forum (my favoured choice on here) and see what crops up :thumbs:

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
I'd say the 1.8 over the 1.6 having owned both... There really is no difference in MPG between the two and the 1.8 has that little bit more ooomphh...

I would also say dont just go for the cheapest car you can find, you do need the all important service history...

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Ive got a 1.6 for sale in the ads, its presently at the wring end of the map for you though, its a close call between the 1.6 and 1.8, I prefer both to the 2.0 - ours gets about 34mpg, our 2.4 159 and MiTo Multiair barely get better!

Dont get put off a 1.6, buy a car with good history and condition as the guy above says, the 1.6 loves to rev and is not slow, its got less torque than the others though, but it makes the 2 litre seem lazy.

Unless you need an Engine rebuild, (which isnt econominc) the parts wont be any more plentiful on the 1.8 because other than internals they are largely the same.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ah yes i've had my eye on the 166/164 section of the forums and i've wanted a 166 for at least 5 years now, but i'll be sensible and go for the 156 i think. Ill just make sure i've got that all important full service history.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Mine has FSH also ideally you need to know that none of the previous owners have neglected the oil level on a twin spark, which rules out buying from a dealer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts