Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to work tonight and started the car, and it started and died imediatly. If I hold down the accelerator it will start and run but only until I let the accelerator go. When driving it accelerates fine and runs at speed fine but as soon as I lift off the accelerator the injector light comes on, as soon as I accelerate again the light goes off. Oh and when you come to a junction it die's. Has anybody any sugestions??? frown

·
Banned
477 Posts
Does it die every time it drops to idle? Only asking 'cos I had similar intermittant problem that car would be jerky and injector light would come on when I came off the gas pedal. Replaced Lambda sensor and was OK for a week, now it has started again. I've cleaned the air flow sensor and it seems to be running a little better. Need to check plugs again as there appeared to be a bit of moisture on the outer plug leads

M

·
0 Posts
Sorry daiblack, no suggestions, but shouldn't your signature read "2 Litre, Twin Spark, 16 Valve Dieing Machine!" ???

Sorry again, Tesco are doing 24 bottles of Stella for less than £10, so I had to take advantage.....

Hope you cure it.

Marlon

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cured, it was the idle control valve, it was caked in carbon. So I've de-carbonised the vanve and hey presto the car now idles as sweetly as ever. P.S Marlon never had a problem with it on the move just couldn't stop for light's or junctions.... :D

J

·
0 Posts
silly question i know but...

where's the idle control valve hide?
my car does a similar thing... every time you jump off the throttle (clutch in) the revs drop right off, splutter a bit and jumps up to normal idle, almost a stall... some times actually does stall... but usually almost... been the same for a yr and a half so far not got any worse... so i dunno if it is.

i had a rake about and cleaned up the air sensor (the tube thing with cross hatching matrix and a sensor on the inside on it's own, half way from air box to engine) but that wasd ok gave it a clean anyways... was that it? i kinda gave up thinking that the next box looked kinda tricky to play with... is it in this?? oh joy :D

marlon was about when i had a rake about and we both came up stumped... it must be really great when you know all this stuff :D :D

btw i'm running a 2.0 16v TS 1997 'P' reg

rgrds

J

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
its on the throttle body it sits on top with (from memory ) 2 torx bolts take it off and spray inards with carb cleaner the sensor on the back of the throttle body is throttle position sensor a sealed unit and not servicable ithink? wink

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sit on the top of the butterfly housing, and is fixed on with 2 T30 torx screws. It only takes a couple of minutes to take off, be careful as it has a gasket. wink

J

·
0 Posts
thx for the pic dude... i thought it was that.

i gave it a bit of a clean but it seemed ok anyways... car is still dodgy. :(
well we'll see what happens after i've changed my cam belts and lined up my cams properly (using the locking tools). the inlet cam is apparently advanced ever so slightly and causing a funny power/torque curve and big overfuelling... this i reckon could be causing my sudden dip when you let off for idle... i hope that sorts it out.

thx anyways dude!

j

1 - 13 of 13 Posts