Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had some views on the various performance chips available on the market. The 2 I'm interested in are the Squadra and Autodelta types. Both of these come from reputable companies so I would expect them to do as it says on the tin. However, the Autodelta one is £150 and the Squadra one (last time I checked) was over £300. Is there a major difference in these 2 items? their power and torque increase claims seem very similar. Maybe it's a case of Squadra having developed the item first so want more money to cover their development costs?
Any views on this would be appreciated.
Regards,
Tej

B

·
0 Posts
:) The Squadra is supposed to be the better of the two,but requires that the car be run on 98 RON fuel after installation.
..I paid £180 new for mine in my 155 1.8 16v and it was fine.......£300 sounds awfully expensive,are you sure that wasn't the price in Euros ?

:confused: I've never seen a review of the Autodelta chip,or met anyone who had one installed.The power and torque gains are slightly less according to the tech specs.......but it has the advantage of being able to perform on 95 RON without any fear of knocking etc.

;) Hope that helps........

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't find the ad any more so don't know the exact price. I'm sure it was at *********.com which is a website which doesn't work now. Probably closed down. I once ordered a wheel bearing from them (about 3 years ago) and had to chase up my order every week for 2 months! They took the money from my card but couldn't deliver the goods. Can you beleive that the chap on the phone kept on saying to me "oh, sorry I forgot to post it"! Forgot? for 2 months? I work in a parts place myself so was patient and understand that there can be difficulties but that was just taking the [email protected]~#.

Anyway, as I can't find it anymore I will just buy the Autodelta one. It seems that the Squadra advances the timing a tad more that's why it would need higher octane fuel which would result in very slightly more power. Still, has anyone had their car rolling road tested after fitting a chip?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry mate, I don't understand what you mean. What are enlarged Intake runners? As far as I know the Squadra chip (like any other) is sold on its own.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
TEJ said:
has anyone had their car rolling road tested after fitting a chip?
Before and after fitting, but this was a custom map and not for a V6

from 147ish Bhp to 165. Standard power is 143 Bhp but also had a decat pipe fitted before, and an induction kit. The induction kit was a waste of money, imo

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, now I understand. Didn't realise that the 3.0 intake pipes were larger.

and thanks for the power increase info Cuore Sportivo 155, I already have a de-cat pipe with a sports exhaust but did not fit an induction kit. I figured it was better to fit a panel filter instead as the induction kit would just draw hot air from the engine bay and the original box draws cold air from under the car.

Thanks for all the info chaps, much appreciated. However, whilst travelling down a dual carriage way on Saturday my car suddenly stalled and wouldn't start. The first time in 5 and a half years it's let me down. I had my friend come over yesterday with his diagnostic equipment and we found none of the sensors are faulty. There's no spark at the plug so we think it's the coil pack. I will have o get one of those first before I get excited about power increases.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts