Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, A friend of mine is considering a 155 V6 Wide, the car looks in pretty good order apart from the fact there is a grating noise in first and second gear when pulling away. This sounds to me like gearbox bearings. How much would it cost appoximatley to get the gearbox overhauled, and where is the best place to take it.
Many thanks..
Simon.

G

·
V6 gearboxes are hard to come by or I'd suggest just dropping another obx in and doing the clutch at the same time.

I would guess he'll be looking at £300+. Someone was thinking of selling a box here recently and from memory said it had cost about £500 to overhaul :eek:

wrinx

·
Registered
42,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate, I will pass that on. Do any of the 164 boxes fit out of interest or are the diff ratio's totally different?
Thanks.

G

·
symonh2000 said:
Cheers mate, I will pass that on. Do any of the 164 boxes fit out of interest or are the diff ratio's totally different?
Thanks.
Far as I know the boxes are specific to 155s but will check.

wrinx

G

·
the problem with gearbox parts is that they often end up on back order for weeks and weeks, also there not cheap especialy if you need gears, the bearings will be about £30 odd quid each, its all about the labour cost to get it out, i recon on about 7hours in and out plus rebuild time on top.

·
Registered
13,259 Posts
You can get factory recycled gearboxes for about £600 and they're as good as new. :)

The thing with overhauling the 'box is you don't know what bits you'll need until you get in there, then you have to order them and they all cost £30 or £40 each. It soon adds up, especially when you have to get into dismanting and rebuilding it.

The recon' box is a good bet.. bung in a new clutch and reasonable labour and you're looking at a Gorilla though.. :eek:

Ralf S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.