Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car went through it's mot today after failling on discs all round and rear brake pipe's....

****btw..this is the 1.8 155 I got a few day's ago****

But now everything's done, the brake's are deffinetly binding (the rear's I think), the pedal's very spongy although I he did say if I wasn't happy with it just bring it back.

But even now it's done when the h/brake's on it still only "grabs" on the pass side and very little on the driver's.

I haven't got a manual for this yet, I know there's a tech section here but would I be as well trying to get a good manual (NOT Hayne's!!)

Oh!!...What plug's are best for the 1.8's NGK's ect?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Check ebay for manuals...loads of them!!

Brakes....can be a bit of a pain to set up but sounds like your calipers need sorting, especially the pistons which may be slightly seized. Hopefully your mechanic knows how to set the handbrake properly (undo handbrake, ensure pads are near discs then set handbrake).

If he did the brake pipes then he'll have had to bleed the brakes too, I had a bit of fun doing this recently and took several attempts on my 155. Take it back.

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the plugs....8v or 16v? Plug recommendations are in the handbook ;)

wrinx

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry 16v....I'll check the h/book, although the last guy said he'd put new one's in costing about £70 for the 8 but I took with a pinch!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, sounds about right. They are platinum tipped and supposed to last 60k and cost a little packet each :D

wrinx

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I have to say, I'm a bit concerned about your brakes binding.
New discs and pads all round- they should be perfect.
It could be yet another mechanic who doesn't know how to adjust handbrake cables correctly...
Correct adjustment is to just and only just, to remove free play in the handbrake cables. The levers on the calipers should return to the fully off stops when the handbrake is released, and the cable adjuster should never, ever be used to reduce the travel of the lever inside the car.
I still see this quite frequently, and it ****es me off that there are still mechanincs who charge proffessional fees for an unproffessional job.

However, it may not be the case this time, and I hope that the job was done properly. If the corrosion was cleaned from the pad carriers, and the slide pins cleaned and lubed then there should really be no probs. My only other idea would be to suspect a collapsed brake hose which is restricting fluid movement...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Make sure the handbrake cables are in good order too....best and probably cheapest way to do this is fit new ones....and get genuine Alfa ones too, NOT pattern parts. I ended up paying more for a cheap copy than Alfa charge for the real deal. The pattern parts were rubbish, lacking the teflon liner, which meant they were almost as stiff as the knackered old ones I took off.

The symptoms you describe can be caused by binding cables. If we credit the mechanic with replacing the parts properly (i.e. cleaning & lubricating everything as he should) then this would leave the cables. I agree a 'professional' should know about this sort of thing, but maybe they aren't accustomed to just how naff the rear brakes are on these cars and how everything has to be perfect to have a hope of it working.

HTH

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Afaik he did everything right, but did say if it's not "settling in" in the next day/2 to bring it back.

I dont know if he knows about the h/brake adjustment thing, I know I didnt never having had an Alfa before.

But in all honesty Iv'e never drove anything like it be it car/bike with new dics/pads with the brake's so spongy. I'll give till tomorrow and if no better I'll take it back.

The thing too, after picking it up and driving about 20mile's I got out out and could smell the burning pads :mad:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
At least your mechanic acknowledges it may not be right, so I think you'll be ok. I know its a bit irritating but it should work out ok. Let us know! ;)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
speaking of brakes, I have a Q4 narrow body and I need to have the front brake disk replaced, do you know the price, and where I can purchase them online?

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
Could your problem be as simile as a defective h/b.

My 156 has a rsuted h/b cable which basically made the passengers side wheel useless as a parking brake. I read your is sticking but if the cable was stuck it might not release probperly.

To test if it is an seized up cbale or over tightened cable just discconect it. If the problem goes away its the cable, if not it is caliper related.....simple?

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Make sure the pads aren't jammed in the caliper slots too...

The edge of the slots where the pads fit get slightly corroded with time and if the pad backing plate is too big it jams in the slot. Clean it up with some emery paper.

The pads should be not loose but free to move - file the ends of the backing plate down a bit if they're stuck in the caliper body.

Ralf S.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts