Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem started two days ago. Everything looks and works ok normal except the water and oil temperature goes up. Water goes over 90c (and never crosses 110c) and then oil temperature starts going up to the 80-100range. Before it almost never moved!

Engine takes less to heat up and longer to cool down (even if driven 120 on the freeway in the 5th gear).

Vent works fine (1 and 2 stage), switches also work, there's nothing in front preventing air coming through.
Oil and filters were replaced and it was connected to a tester. All systems ok?!!?

What could be wrong? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Sinister

Its possible your thermostat is starting to stick shut and only opening at higher temperatures

Or maybe your radiator is starting to block or more common the cooling veins on it are rotting out and allowing heat dispersall to cool the water as efficiently

Try flushing the radiator out and check the veins and if you can pull the thermostat out and test it in some hot water with a thermometer to ensure its opening at the right temperature :D

Hope this helps

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Thermostat could be stuck partially closed, happened on one of our old 164s V6,
just a thought, which engine is yours?

Jack

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>Its possible your thermostat is starting to stick shut and only opening at higher temperatures

Don't know if that's the problem. while testing it at the shop we ran it for a few minutes and it it turned on the fan in the 70-90 range. Figured it was fixed and went home. Few miles further and the temp was at 100c and oil at 80c (aprox). Grhh.

The problem started two days ago (clogging would be more gradual I guess? Does flushing gave any negative side effects? Does it work?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Providing the system is a good condition flushing shouldnt cause a problem

If there`s a weak point on a gasket or a seal it might find it which depending on how you look at it could be a good thing

You could always just flush the radiator and not the whole system using a hosepipe

If it runs hotter when being driven then it would suggest that the radiator is at fault and not cooling sufficiently

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I reckon it most probably is the thermostat, if you have the insert type why not just take it out and see wot happens. The only downside is the car will take longer to warm up but this is better than cooking the head which you could be getting close to. If it works just get a new thermostat, they are not expensive. If you cannot get one, send me your details and i will try and source one over here for you

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where is the thermostat located? Although I'm not sure it's the thermostat.
The fan starts bellow 90'c so I guess it works? Not sure whether it's the first or second stage.

The engine warms up rather(2)fast and does cool down as. Drove it for a few miles yesterday, temperature was 100c aprox. and parked it. Fan wasn't on!?!

Went shopping for 2 hours and when i returned the temperature droped only a few points??!?!?!?

What the hell ...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thermostat located on right hand side of cylinder head. in between engine and the battery. It has about 5 hoses coming out of it. The main hose going to the top of the radiator. I suggest you run the car from cold stationary and see when the fan turns on. What is the weather like where you are?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might be a dodgy temp sensor/
fan switch
giving you weird readings,
suggesting an intermittent
earth fault???

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
outside temp: 33'c
-ran at idle (900-1000rpm)for 11 minutes 53 seconds

-the temp is over 2-3mm right from 90'c (95c?

-fan kicks in for a few seconds (5 or so) and goes of

-the temperature remains the same from what I can tell

a few minutes later (engine a bit warmer I guess.....that gauge is not really precise:(

and the fan kicks in again and shut's down after a few seconds

turned the engine off

p.s.: found the thermometer (colored blue?) but really sure about pulling it off

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sinister,

From what you've described,
everything seems to be fine :confused:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Usually the temp never beyond 90'C and was stuck there

I turned the engine off since the temp kept rising and at one point the oil starts rising from 60....to 80.........100?!?!

and that's without pushing the car?!?!?!?!

(drove the car on the freeway for a few miles in the 5th gear without AC at moderate speeds (100-130km/h) and the temp went to 95-100 and oil at 100'C?

don't even want to imagine getting stuck in traffic or pushing the car

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well mine usually sits at about
90-92'c and oil at about 98-100'c
when cruising at about 80-85mph,
in traffic it gos to about
100-105'c and then the fans on and
off like a yo-yo,but mines a V6
and runs hot anyway.
Your TS sounds about normal when
left idling (is this right TS owners)
but your other symptoms sound strange.
would advise like the others to check
the thermostat,a way to do this is
to put your hand on the top of radiator
on start up you should feel the rad
getting warm at the top but still cold at
the bottom.
And then when its been running a while
to feel the top and bottom of the rad,
it should be warm/hot all over, this
signifys the thermostat was closed but
is now open (be wary of the fan coming
on though eek! ).
other than that,check the sensor/switch,
and give it a flush and refill.
Could be that the radiator is starting
to get knackered too,fins etc.

Yikes! that was a long post eek!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Just had this problem with my Fiat Uno. To cut a long story short it turned out to be a silted up rad. I removed the rad flushed through the engine with the heater on and reverse flushed the rad, amazing what came out. Now all is well.

Phil

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
can the system be flushed without removing the rad or ...?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes, i did mine by just emptying it by removing bottom hose, refilled , emptied etc. you can maybe connect the hose pipe on somewhere and flush using mains water pressure

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Drained the system today.....poured in new liquid and some additive to clean the rad.

Went for a easy drive (30miles or so) and the oil is at 100'C and coolant is just over 90'c.
Both go up a notch with the AC on.

Is that normal? The engine is a 1.8TS

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sounds about right, my oil temp guage has been in hibernation for last 6 years so not sure about oil temp

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that's what worries me! it was like glued to 60 before..... i had to push the car for an hour on really high rev to move it.

Now it moves (2)fast?!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yep my V6 runs v. hot, during this summer (30 - 40°C) water temp up around 90+°C in town, in open country just below 90°C, in the Winter runs at around 70°C; oil temp around 100°C it's not generally a problem; rolling along at 105 - 110 mph the temp creeps up to the 90+°C on the water gauge and 100 -105°C on oil temp, cruising at 70 - 80 mph it's near rock steady dead centre of the gauges.

BTW, I've been losing water through a split hose on the thermostat housing!!! It was very difficult to detect even with pressure testing, until recently where it had gotten worse and hence visible. It's in the shop being replace now, I had a look at the area concerned and thought better of it so handed over to the pro's.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts