Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now before I ask, I have already owned a late model 156 2.5 V6.

I'm really fond of the 155's. I really want one but I also love the 156's. The 155's great because I don't see many of them around and how can we forget their racing history. To me the 155's are better looking so all the 156 has to go with is comfortability, power and newer technology... Which kind of makes it bringing a knife to a gun fight. You'd think that it sorts it and there you go, buy a 156... or does it? See I really like the 155 even if you had to exclude the rarity and the racing history. It just seems more brutal :D

I'd love to get myself one again and looking at the pre-owned options here in SA, you can find a really good 155 or a fairly good 156 in about the same price class so it's a choice between the two then.

What are your thoughts? :confused:

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
If you likes the '55, buy one. They'll get rarer still in the next few years and parts will be harder to come by... so it's best the few that are left are owned by people who are likely to keep them going. :thumbs:

When all the '55s have gone, there will still be a few '56s about, so you can have one of those then...

Ralf S.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
155 : 1

156 : 0

I aggree with what you're saying. Also, back then the Silverstone, TI Z and GTA Z was the most rarest 155's you can get. So practically if you want a top of the range 155 just buy a '98 2.5 V6... On the 156 it's not that simple, you'd have to scratch deeper in your wallet and buy a GTA... :eek:

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hi

We have had 2 155s and a 156 (plus regular access to a 156 Selespeed).

In measurable ways the 155 is a better car. Bigger boot, harder wearing interior. More comfortable seats. Better mirrors.

However I think the 156 is better looking and far better to drive. Far less of a rolly polly drive.

All the best

Keith

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys.

I'm having a look at some 155's up for sale. Hopefully I can get one that's still in good nic.:thumbs:

Have a good day

·
Registered
929 Posts
I'm having a look at some 155's up for sale. Hopefully I can get one that's still in good nic.:thumbs:
One thing I will say about the 155 is that they seem to be longer lasting than the 156. Less corrosion problems (probably not an issue for you) and the interiors are harder wearing with the seats not collapsing like 156 seats.

Still prefer the 156.

All the best

Keith

G

·
0 Posts
I think both have a lot of potential for fun and are great value. A lot of it comes down to styling - the 155 was the one of the "wedge" shaped Alfas, whereas the 156 took a different design direction. I personally prefer the 156 as I love the styling of that car but I can see the attraction of the 155. Both have a great racing heritage as well.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I've owned a 156 2.5 V6 and driven two 155 V6's. There's no doubt in my mind that the 156 is a better car. It has a far more solid feel and is much nicer to drive. I liked the 155, but I liked the 156 a whole lot more. There's a similar difference in 'feel' between a 146 and a 147 (I've driven several of those too).

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've had a 155 2.0 TS and a 156 2.4 JTD. 156 more comfortable and modern inside, 155 more of a drivers car. No doubt for me, the only problem is most of the 155's are falling to bits in this country. 155 please!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks for your views guys, I'm undoubtably sold to the 155. Went to test drive the 155 and the lady over the phone said it's a 2.5 but from the picture I could see "Super" on the boot. When I got there it was a 2.0 16V :rant:

I suppose the lighter engine infront with the front wheel drive makes a better track combination for the car with handling and braking but I really want the V6...

Up until now still no sign of one but I'm keeping an eye online everyday to make sure I dont miss one.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NineOneSix.... So many to choose from!!! Thanks alot!!!

How would I import it? I'm all the way in South Africa... :confused:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wise choice , Mr AOC , not everyone finds the "jellymould" as attractive as the BTCC/DTM/Campionato Italiano Superturismo/Campeonato Español de Turismos championship winner !;)

S

·
0 Posts
155 rocks. V6 engined ones fab! I had a 95 widebody version. It was fantastic. Really regret selling it. 156 is much less tempramental, but 155 has much better rarity value. Good ones are rare as rocking horse poo!

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
I've had a 2.0TS 156. Compared with the 155, the 156 is far more refined...as you'd expect. Much less crashy suspension, quieter, better equipped, etc. However, I do love the 155 for all the opposite reasons, because it's more involving to drive, which is what Alfas are about.

I would say the same between a 156 and 159. The 159 is far more refined than the 156, making it a far more livable car; but at the expense of driver appeal and rawness.

If I was to buy another 156, it would have to be a GTA. And perhaps this could be the very reason to sell the 2.5 156, and go with a 155 - you can later buy a 156GTA!

Whilst I sometimes crave a V6 155 (never driven one though), the 2.0 (8v) is so well balanced it's really chuckable. Having said this, I am accustomed to modified cars, so any standard versions of these may not live up to my hype (really in reference to suspension and therefore handling).

Both have their appeal, so it depends on what you want at the moment.

:)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Right now, well for the last three months, this is the only 155 (of 2) in SA that I can find that's up for sale. This little white Super has had four owners and has a service history. It's currently a lady driver who owns it and it's very well taken care of but........

ITS A 2L!!!! :cry: Afraid to start modifying because of lack of power and I dont really wana do that. According to specs, the 2.0 16v has only 10kw less than the v6 and is only 0.6 sec's slower to 60... What to do? :confused:

Can the Q4 engine simply "slip" into that chassis, NEATLY? without any funny mod's. I mean it's practically the same, or is it?

I'd really prefer a v6 but this is all there is. What are your views?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts