Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our AO members in the 145/146/155 forum is looking for assistance on doing an upgrade from a 1,7TS converting to a Q4 engine...

Anybody give assitance?

L

·
0 Posts
McGuinn said:
One of our AO members in the 145/146/155 forum is looking for assistance on doing an upgrade from a 1,7TS converting to a Q4 engine...

Anybody give assitance?

Hey, thank's McGuinn. It's been so long since I've been on this forum, so I made the mistake of not posting it here... Can't you post it here?

W

·
0 Posts
Err, hopefully someone with a bit more idea will give more info but I would have thought the gearbox with its props would be a pain but apart from that it should be possible.......presume we're just talking about the engine and not the full 4wd bit 'cos that would be a whole lot more involved :eek:

Obvioudly would need to swap ECU, keycode, keys etc etc over too ;)

wrinx

L

·
0 Posts
wrinx said:
Err, hopefully someone with a bit more idea will give more info but I would have thought the gearbox with its props would be a pain but apart from that it should be possible.......presume we're just talking about the engine and not the full 4wd bit 'cos that would be a whole lot more involved :eek:

Obvioudly would need to swap ECU, keycode, keys etc etc over too ;)

wrinx

Hi, wrinx! Of course we're not talking about the full 4wd... But I'm taking the gearbox from the Fiat, and that's a front wheel drive.

By the way, here goes:

Hi everybody, it's been a long long time since I've been here. Hopefully somebody still loves me, and can answer my questions.

Well over to my "problem"

I have a 95 155 1.7TS, and now I have the oportunity to buy a engine from a Fiat Coupe 94 model 2 litre Turbo. That's supposed to be the same Lancia engine witch also is the engine in 155 Q4.

So... over to the question. What do I need to do? This is my first "project" with the car, and I'm not a mechanic but I know how to handle a tool.

Have anybody done this before? I can buy the whole front of the Fiat, so I'm going to use the driveshaft, and everything.

But I think I'm gonna need some help.

Sorry for my bad english, it's a long time since I went to school.

Regards Kjetil, Norway.

W

·
0 Posts
THINK...this should drop straight in as you're right its the same as the Q4 engine...but thats about all I can help with sorry :rolleyes:

wrinx

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I would think it`ll drop in ok but you will need to swap gearboxes driveshafts ecu poss fuel pump exh and maybe alter modify engine mounts............it might be a good idea to swap the brake servo and master cylinder and the front hubs and discs as well so you can stop it ;)

Sounds like a bit of a task but should be relatively easy to swap............

..................Have you comsidered dropping the subframe with the engine gearbox attached and also the front suspension and just swapping the lot ;) might make it a bit easier

L

·
0 Posts
speed freak said:
I would think it`ll drop in ok but you will need to swap gearboxes driveshafts ecu poss fuel pump exh and maybe alter modify engine mounts............it might be a good idea to swap the brake servo and master cylinder and the front hubs and discs as well so you can stop it ;)

Sounds like a bit of a task but should be relatively easy to swap............

..................Have you comsidered dropping the subframe with the engine gearbox attached and also the front suspension and just swapping the lot ;) might make it a bit easier

That's what I'm planning to do, Speedy :cool: Just swap the whole subframe. I'm going to take a lot of pictures, so then I might answer questions everybody has afterwards. I mean, in about 20 years or so... Well, thanks for all your help. I hope that the tech room can give me a lot of backup on my way... ;)

L

·
0 Posts
Okay. So I went to se the Fiat Coupe, and the monting of the engine, the radiator cooler and everything is just the same. There will be no problem acording to the mounting of the engine. But a new problem has come. The Q4 engine won't start. I don't know why. The battrey is okay, but when the start engine comes on, it doesnt start. I don't know what this might be. I mean the engine is "stuck" I tried to put the car i 4'th gear, but still the engine is stuck and I can't move it a inch.

The car has collided with somebody in the side, not too heavy crash though. Err, so... Can it be that the drive belt has jumped off and therefore the cylinder valve is stuck in wrong posistion? The guy who had crashed told me that he couldn't start the engine, but not what reason. Oh and by the way, the engine has been standing for quite a while, maybe the cylinders are stuck?? Please help me out on this, guys.. :(

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Could be a number of things if it has been in a crash, I would suggest a rebuild anyway, just for piece of mind that it will run well once in the new car!
Sounds an interesting project though :D

BTW, on ebay there is a guy in Germany breaking an entire Q4 it seems, loads of engine bits! :D

L

·
0 Posts
alfajack said:
Could be a number of things if it has been in a crash, I would suggest a rebuild anyway, just for piece of mind that it will run well once in the new car!
Sounds an interesting project though :D

BTW, on ebay there is a guy in Germany breaking an entire Q4 it seems, loads of engine bits! :D
Yupp, I'm going to do a full rebuild, once the engine is out then I will change some gaskets, the drivebelt, and I'm going to clean the whole engine.

It's a really interesting project, I'm itching in my fingers to get started! :D

Oh, and by the way, I'm not having the 4x4 system, so it's 150kg less weight, and therefore, I'll "own" all you Q4 guys. Hahaha. Just kidding! :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts