Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
A Westie ehh!!! For towing I would absolutely go for a skinnybody 155 with the old 8 valve 2.0 twinspark, the newish 16 valve twinspark is absolutely gutless below 3500 RPMs

-- Hoygs

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Totally agree with Hoygaard, I ruined the clutch on my 145QV trying to tow (admittedly a heavier load), and that was all to do with needing to slip the clutch on hill starts to avoid totally bogging the engine down :( Low speed torque is king for towing :p

M

·
0 Posts
I'd hate to tow anything with my 2.0 16v off the motorway, round town and especially up hills would take a lot of effort and put a lot of strain on the car.
Carrying 3 passengers is bad enough! I really miss a V6 then.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
could get an oil burner for the towing, if you can find one........

san

C

·
0 Posts
I would rather tow the Alfa with the Westfield to be honest - As they have said before the 8valver is more torquey in the initial pull in lower gears.

M

·
0 Posts
2litre 8v torque graph (look at the black line for standard torque)

2litre 16v torque graph

As you can see, at the bottom end (2000rpm) the 8v is much WORSE

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
And note the surge in torque just before 3500 RPMs on the 16 valver, the 156 is even worse, despite the placcy variable manifold that should give increased torque at low revs :rant:

W

·
0 Posts
...and the little dip will be that infamous "flat spot" some people complain about...never felt it myself though :confused:

Interesting to compare the two......8v would appear to be wider and more even perhaps giving the 16v a "punchier" feel at the higher revs but not that much gain in reality.

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
marlon said:
As you can see, at the bottom end (2000rpm) the 8v is much better.
I'm looking, and i see that the 8v has almost 20Nm LESS torque than the 16v at 2000rpm.
And at 3000 the 16v is only 5Nm down on the 8v, most of that looks like it's due to the flat spot. It looks like tha 16v has more power low down than the 8v, holds the power longer at higher revs and has extra punch in the mid-range. It's only due to that flat spot that it loses out at all to the 8v.

And i want a Squadra chip.

M

·
0 Posts
You're right MT !!!!!

Wonder why I missed that ??? *DOH*

The 8v has a much nicer curve.

Wrinx, the 1.8l 16v has a smoother curve, maybe why you didn't notice it....or are you talking about the GTV ????

1.8 16v

BTW, the 1.8 8v is a nightmare !!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts