Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I might be imagining it but I'm sure that when the my 1.9JTDm 159 passed 10,000 miles it got quicker, but and this is a big but since its just passed 15,000 miles it like another car. The engine rev's so much easier and feels much quicker. On a recent 150 mile trip to Suffork it also average 52MPG at 70MPH something that was almost impossible to achieve in the past.

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
Good for you mate :thumbs:

Diesels aren't fully broken in till they've been hammered a fair bit, and done at least 50k, in my book anyway.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Now I might be imagining it but I'm sure that when the my 1.9JTDm 159 passed 10,000 miles it got quicker, but and this is a big but since its just passed 15,000 miles it like another car. The engine rev's so much easier and feels much quicker. On a recent 150 mile trip to Suffork it also average 52MPG at 70MPH something that was almost impossible to achieve in the past.
I hope your right as I'm pretty dissappointed with my 1.9's performance at the moment (1200 miles in)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm on 14,800 so await the magic 15,000 with aniticipation. I'm not that impressed with my 1.9 JTDM fuel consumption but then again I didn't by it for it's economy.
I bought it for the design, styling and the pleasure I get from driving it. And hey ho when I get past 15,000 miles and things magically improve then that will be a nice little bonus. Happy driving......

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I'm on 14,800 so await the magic 15,000 with aniticipation. I'm not that impressed with my 1.9 JTDM fuel consumption but then again I didn't by it for it's economy.
I bought it for the design, styling and the pleasure I get from driving it. And hey ho when I get past 15,000 miles and things magically improve then that will be a nice little bonus. Happy driving......
Love to hear your experiences past 15K Razzle :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I've noticed similar discussions about the 2.4, all of which is very encouraging. But how to know whether this is urban mythology - surely there would be an authoritative statement somewhere on the web which could confirm this "self-remapping" theory.

The main reason for my caution was that everyone here assumes that things happen at 5000 mile increments, when Alfa engineers presumably work in kilometres...

·
Registered
831 Posts
besides that they work in kilometers rather than miles, the ECU resets anyway if you disconnect the battery over night :)

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
besides that they work in kilometers rather than miles, the ECU resets anyway if you disconnect the battery over night :)
But the odometer doesn't reset so I'm not sure that disproves the theory. All that would be required would be for the ECU to check the odo.

Edit: Not that I'm suggesting Daniel is imagining the improved performance as the engine gets freer. I'm sure that's true. But is it gradual, or the result of a "self-remap"?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Surely it's just a gradual thing that people percieve to be happening at 5K intervals.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It may take me a while to do the last 200 miles to reach the 15000 as baby number 2 arrived last week and I'm not getting out and about much. Even when I return to work the mileage will be static as I work at sea and my 159 will sit on the dockside looking pretty (or as my Latvian crew say ANGRY, yes the ships crew reckon my car looks angry):)

·
Registered
831 Posts
But the odometer doesn't reset so I'm not sure that disproves the theory. All that would be required would be for the ECU to check the odo.

Edit: Not that I'm suggesting Daniel is imagining the improved performance as the engine gets freer. I'm sure that's true. But is it gradual, or the result of a "self-remap"?

haha, good one :) imagine if would be as simple as disconnecting the battery to reset a car's mileage :)
anyway, the ECU part that "resets" when you disconnect it, adjusts itself all the time and after a few hundred miles it "learns" your driving style and will start acting accordingly.

it worth to give it a try... pop the hood, disconnect the battery, close the hood. repeat in the morning :)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
well the 2.4 q4 managed 38mpg today! loaded up but not driving that quick on a roads

yes 38mpg! 12000 miles and slowly loosening up!

shame the prop shafts loosening up nicely as well!......

back to dealer to remove the 'play' they identified and did nothing about!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I noticed something strange today.

When I first had the 159 the turbo boost pressure gauge disappointingly maxed at 1.2, after passing 1000 miles it now boosts to 1.5 and the car is feeling a lot more lively:thumbs:

I would say it's in my head but the gauge don't lie!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Love to hear your experiences past 15K Razzle :thumbs:
Passed the 15000 mile mark on a regular journey that I normally do to work. In the past my 159 1.9 JTDM has averaged 42 MPG on a 88 mile journey that is 80% M-Way and 20% A-Road, cruising speeds 8? - 9? MPH on M-Way. (A lot of hills up and down on this journey)
Before 15000 averaging 42MPG and after the 15000 I averaged 45.5 MPG:thumbs: , something I have never achieved before.
I'm not that fussed about ecomomy but interesting to note the change in trip computer reading after passing a certain mileage. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Passed the 15000 mile mark on a regular journey that I normally do to work. In the past my 159 1.9 JTDM has averaged 42 MPG on a 88 mile journey that is 80% M-Way and 20% A-Road, cruising speeds 8? - 9? MPH on M-Way. (A lot of hills up and down on this journey)
Before 15000 averaging 42MPG and after the 15000 I averaged 45.5 MPG:thumbs: , something I have never achieved before.
I'm not that fussed about ecomomy but interesting to note the change in trip computer reading after passing a certain mileage. :)
Forgot to mention on the short 88 mile trip, I saw 2 Alfa 156's parked up on the hard shoulder, hazards on with drivers standing shaking their heads :( . I hope this is not a sign of things to come for the 159.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yep been mentioned here before - Mine did too..........Theres talk of an auto-re-map past 10K once started to 'bed-in'.......

·
Registered
157 Posts
My 159 1.9 JTDM is approaching 16k, can't say I really noticed any difference in perfomance after 15k, saying that I did start thrashing it after about 500miles?

If anything it feels slower, especially after driving a friends A4 S Line 2.0TDI!

Alfa 159 + Audi 2.0 TDI engine = Perfect car !

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I recently posted a thread about whether the 2.2 JTS changes it's mapping at 5000 mile intervals and there were quite a few people who reported fairly sudden changes at 5,000, 10,000 and 15,000 miles. My exhaust note definitely changed.

These engines defintiely do loosen up a lot,I'm going to the Surrey meet on sunday to give my 2.2 a good work out!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
My 159 1.9 JTDM is approaching 16k, can't say I really noticed any difference in perfomance after 15k, saying that I did start thrashing it after about 500miles?

If anything it feels slower, especially after driving a friends A4 S Line 2.0TDI!

Alfa 159 + Audi 2.0 TDI engine = Perfect car !

Would prefer the BMW powerplant:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts