Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone driven a GTV V6 (preferably a Cup) back to back with a 147 GTA?

Looking at them as an alternative as I've already "done" the GTA, but as a decent Cup isn't much less than a GTA, I wondered how they stacked up?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Ive always wanted a cup. Never driven one thou but considering u had a 3.7 I would go with the cup as it would be a change.

M

·
0 Posts
I had a 3.0 GTV loan car while my 147 was in at Autolusso a couple of years or so ago. I wouldn't have swapped the GTA for a GTV, cup or otherwise.

From a driving perspective, I found the 147 to be sharper though not noticeably better in straight line performance.

The GTA interior is far better thought out with superior control and instrumentation positioning, better seat shape, better interior trim. It doesn't look really dated like the GTV either.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The design is showing its age. The interiors often creak and really look their age. They also have the annoying wind noise issue.

Off the line upto 3rd gear the GTA is superior as has more torque, at top end however the gap is smaller, it also still cuts the mustard styling wise - I am not saying it is still cutting edge - but still very easy on the eye.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Driven 147 GTA and V6 GTV with Q2 back to back,

Needless to say the owner of the GTV now has a 147 GTA.....

They do handle well and if I was buying on budget restrainta I would get a GTV, but it's not really like the GTA in any way.

I do have a soft spot for them though...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
My fianceé had a GTV V6 which we spent a packet on while I had my 147 GTA. Suffice to say we kept the GTA and sold the GTV!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The design is showing its age. The interiors often creak and really look their age. They also have the annoying wind noise issue.

Off the line upto 3rd gear the GTA is superior as has more torque, at top end however the gap is smaller, it also still cuts the mustard styling wise - I am not saying it is still cutting edge - but still very easy on the eye.
Surely the 147 is showing its age.
Of course I am biased to the GTV and probably even more so given that I have a Cup but the design is a classic and well we can hardly say that about the 147 now can we !

The Cup wins everytime.

I know you GTA boys love your GTA engines but the GTV and especially the Cup model with a Q2 system fitted and a bit of exhaust tweaking is the way to go.

Alan

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
i wouldn't have either i would choose another GTA, but i would say that if i had to choose from a 147GTA and a GTV Cup i would have the cup
i would like to try one to see how they are

A

·
0 Posts
I agree...the 147 still looks and feels really fresh with its classy interior. To me, the only thing that does show its age is the lack of integrated USB and Bluetooth, otherwise all the goodies that are in current cars are in the 147's anyway:thumbs:.
The GTV is very very dated, IMHO of course! But purely on looks it looks dated and then there is the driving position etc and the quality of the materials. I'm not saying its a bad car as it isn't but I just think its much more dated than the 147 in the same way the 145&6's have over the 147.

I miss my 147:(

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very much in favour of the 147 it seems - maybe I should ask in the GTV forum for balance ;)

I'm relucatant to go down the 147 route as I've been there and, without wanting to sound like a tool, it's never going to be to the standard or peformance of my old one.

Not really interested in a 156GTA as I prefer the 147, the BreraS is more than I'd like to spend, and although I really like the 159's in Ti spec, it'd have to be a 3.2 but I don't think it'd ever be as 'exciting' as a 147GTA....unless it was supercharged and I'm not going down that route again ;)

My outside choice is the black (CatD) 147GTA on PHeads and make it a true fast-road-cum-touring-car I've always fancied. Strip some weight, remove back seats, partial white wrap, noisy and mean - in other words, go on a different angle to my old car to make it 'different'.

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Surely the 147 is showing its age.
Of course I am biased to the GTV and probably even more so given that I have a Cup but the design is a classic and well we can hardly say that about the 147 now can we !

The Cup wins everytime.

I know you GTA boys love your GTA engines but the GTV and especially the Cup model with a Q2 system fitted and a bit of exhaust tweaking is the way to go.

Alan
Yeah, you are very biased towards the GTV :)

The 147 GTA still looks quite current, not so much the other 147s or the 156s ph1 for that matter. As has been said, it's only really the stereo that hasn't got clever (or annoying) modern stuff in it.

That said, the price of some V6 GTVs (non-cup) makes it easily better value than a GTA.

·
Vendor
45,819 Posts
MattyB we are selling a red 05 plate 147 GTA at the moment, it may interest you. Its done about 60k and has just had a full cambelt/clutch/Q2/powder-coating job done by us, as it stands right this minute the engine & box is still out of the car so if you want anything doing as part of a deal, now is the time. Give Ned a ring if you are interested 01582 869 560.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
I feel the 147 GTA is TOO refined, as much as it's a fast, quick car I think it's too easy to drive.

The GTV on the other hand has a rawness you'll never get with the newer cars.

It all depends on what you want to get out of the car in the first place.

For me I love cars without gadgets, no radio, AC, PAS, ABS, ESP, EBD, TCS. I feel they knock the fun out of driving.

Out of the GTAs I prefer the 147GTA myself, loved Scotts new pride and joy he let me have a drive after me taking him for a spin in mine. (I would have let him drive mine, but I doubt he could turn the steering wheel).

A

·
0 Posts
Even for me, I find the 159 a bit dull and I'm the guy who loves diesels so what does that say!!! The 147 I had was a characterful car and I even liked the noiser diesel over the smoother one I have now. To me the 159 is just a bit boring. I can't seem to 'love it' like I did with the 147 so if I'm feeling that when I'm driving diesels, you would be incredibly disappointed with the 159 3.2 after coming from a 3.7 GTA trust me! To me, the 3.2 is all about 2 things.....gorgeous aural pleasure and horrendous fuel economy, but not alot of get up and go (its a lazy engine).

The 159 is a great capable car but it just doesn't feel very involving and its missing that soul that everyone talks about.
I agree, more and more cars are removing us away from the true feel of the driving experience, although I wouldn't want to go back to non PAS thank you very much:lol:.
Dare I say it, but I think the 147 GTA 3.7 is probably the best you will have reached with a modern Alfa, that is until Alfa bring out the much needed 4C (and please Alfa, make it exciting like a Lotus or something!!!).

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
I feel the 147 GTA is TOO refined, as much as it's a fast, quick car I think it's too easy to drive.

The GTV on the other hand has a rawness you'll never get with the newer cars.

It all depends on what you want to get out of the car in the first place.

For me I love cars without gadgets, no radio, AC, PAS, ABS, ESP, EBD, TCS. I feel they knock the fun out of driving.

Out of the GTAs I prefer the 147GTA myself, loved Scotts new pride and joy he let me have a drive after me taking him for a spin in mine. (I would have let him drive mine, but I doubt he could turn the steering wheel).
I've let you drive my 156 GTA once, and I've also seen you drive a 3.0 GTV if you remember.... :eek:

·
Banned
3,532 Posts

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
I've let you drive my 156 GTA once, and I've also seen you drive a 3.0 GTV if you remember.... :eek:
That was a few years back now, with your car I think I wasn't used to cable driven gearsticks and carelessness in that GTV :eek:

Having driven a 147GTA around the ring and a few other V6s now I think I'm not soo stupid :)

I've had impure thoughts for a 2nd car and that is a V6 of some kind.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts