Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people.. glad to still be here!

Couple of nights ago made these modifications to my beloved 147 Selespeed.

I think I am going to be at fault, the first rear side collision happened as I was turning right at a junction. Just didn't see the guy in time (admitedly he was going a hell of a lot faster than the permitted 30!)

I floored it to try and avoid a crash.. we hit. This bent the axle sending me off to the right. Over corrected to get back on my side.. hit a kerb and ended up in the air, landing in a pub car park in the back of a 4X4.

Police turned up after 30 mins.. did not seem to care.. all breath tested.. I was green other guy orange...then they left telling us to call insurance!

So happy to walk out unhurt. The sight of seeing her getting dragged off on a trailer yesterday was not a good one. Certainly a write off!

Waiting to see what insurance will pay out for her (had momo uprated interior and bose and was in A1 condition, still had 18 month warranty left) I simply have to replace her like for like or I will never be happy.

I have seen one going for 5750, anyone got any thoughts on values?

100_0569.jpg

100_0581.jpg

100_0585.jpg

Not nice to see for me!

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
163 Posts
Those pictures are scary!

Good to hear you got out fine though....Quite re-assuring.

Cannot miss the opportunity to tell you my 2002 selespeed is for sale though! - and at £4250 - details in 4 sale forum.

Hope everything gets sorted for you.

Glenn

·
Administrator
86,631 Posts

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
You're GREEN, he's ORANGE, go for it, ifyou could have got his skid marks measured (ON THE ROAD) then you could get even better compensation.

Nice to hear your fine and shame about the car, should have taken him into the pub to calm his nerves before the police arrived ;)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
At leastyour okay, which is the main thing :(

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Wow. Big shunt:wow: Did the bags & pretensioners deploy? The seatbelt things really hurt me but saved my bacon I suppose:eek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi again..

Yes was a pretty big smack.. probably at about 45-50 by the time I hit!

Front airbags went off and the seatbelt fired.. causing a blooming big bruise on my side! Got small burns from airbags, left leg took the brunt as it was not in use (Selespeed) and being a tall guy it was hit by dash. Can't complain over a few custs and bruises considering what could have happened!

GGmiller, thanks for letting me know.. it is on my list of maybes. I am really looking for super sports and momo interior.. I would prefer red too.. not that you are off my list by anymeans! :thumbs:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
100_0574.jpg

Here is the only pic of the airbags.. the passenger one broke the window?!!

At least I dont have to fork out for the new road tax!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Glad you're ok after that smash.

Can you ellaborate on what happened? Sounds like you were turning right and got hit from behind, either by someone who didn't see you slowing down/turning or by someone who was overtaking cars and then hit you. Either way it sounds to me like the car behind you hit you and thus caused the accident. As long as you didn't break any rules of the road when turning right at the junction it sounds like it wasn't your fault. From the looks of the pictures it doesn't seem to be a dual carrigeway either so the car behind you lokks to be at fault.

Did you tell your insurance company about the upgraded interior and any other mods you did to the car? If you didn't they will probably not pay for them so you might just end up with a payoff based on a basic model without the leather. You might be able to buy it back off them though for parts and swap the interiors etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi..

Pretty sure it was my fault.. infact insurance have decided it was.

Further detail:

I was stopped at a t junction turning right. Look left, look right.. look left again and go.. then see a car coming from my right at "some speed" (it was a blind bend I have turned on hundreds of times) I floor it, he tries to avoid me and bang. I am pretty stunned and by now car is already doing 40 and changing up to second by itself. Realise that I am now heading towards oncoming traffic, over compensate the steering to the left, and lose it. I hit the kerb at about 50 and ended up being stopped by a jeep or range rover.

The last picture in my first post is the damage done to the car first.. the front was done in by me hitting a parked 4X4

With regard to telling insurance about mods, these are not mods and are a standard option..

Thankfully noone hurt and we all walked away.. that is the main thing

Thanks for all your comments, it looks so much worse than it felt to be honest.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
terrible!
worried about the poor car as much as you! happy you are ok.
good luck, hopefully they pay out well, you do need to hound them though, I've mentioned before that my dad managed to double the original payout they offered simply by hounding them.

*we should all get our airbag lights reset and faults fixed i think! looks like they come in handy!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hi..

Pretty sure it was my fault.. infact insurance have decided it was.

Further detail:

I was stopped at a t junction turning right. Look left, look right.. look left again and go.. then see a car coming from my right at "some speed" (it was a blind bend I have turned on hundreds of times) I floor it, he tries to avoid me and bang. I am pretty stunned and by now car is already doing 40 and changing up to second by itself. Realise that I am now heading towards oncoming traffic, over compensate the steering to the left, and lose it. I hit the kerb at about 50 and ended up being stopped by a jeep or range rover.

The last picture in my first post is the damage done to the car first.. the front was done in by me hitting a parked 4X4

With regard to telling insurance about mods, these are not mods and are a standard option..

Thankfully noone hurt and we all walked away.. that is the main thing

Thanks for all your comments, it looks so much worse than it felt to be honest.
Aaah, sorry. Got my wires crossed with the first post, thought the other car was coming from behind you not from the right on the road you were turning onto.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts