Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired this 147, not used since 2012, 13k miles, spotless inside and out, before startup the timing belt and water pump will be replaced, full service etc, so is there anything else I should check, a new battery will be going on tomorrow to check leccy things, hopefully nothing will go bang
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Check the tyres as I bet they are past it,also petrol or diesel? If it’s petrol drain the tank and refill with fresh. Not sure if that’s required with diesel or not after so long without being used.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tank will be drained, 1.6 petrol, don't even know how much is in it until I get a battery on it, tyres have plenty of tread but of course are old so will be replaced, having the car on the lift the underneath is like new, so no problems there, could I be this lucky 😉

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Brakes and brake fluid. Bleed the old fluid out before using, including the clutch. Same reservoir, and might save you a new slave cylinder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fluids and pads to be replaced, all in it should stand me less than a grand, can't complain at that, hopefully 😬

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
You may be very lucky there. But cars don't like sitting for long periods of time. In saying that, it probably won't require anymore work or new parts than an older/higher mileage car might need a this time. Like suspension parts, hoses, brakes etc.

Brakes and brake fluid. Bleed the old fluid out before using, including the clutch. Same reservoir, and might save you a new slave cylinder.
Hopefully the slave is ok. Otherwise a major job to change on the TS.

At least it appears to be rust free which is significant.

Check for animals nests around exhaust systems and the like. You never know what might have made a home over the years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All clean mate, stored in a dry clean garage, thorough check over reveals nothing, it's like new.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Nice rims, I considered those for my 156 but this forum persuaded me to keep my original Speedline rims.

Now I've got 7 of them lying around (long story!)

If you plan to keep the car for years then I'd clean then treat/wax all the underside including all 4 wheel arches underneath the arch liners.

·
Registered
17,013 Posts
That looks an excellent find.

If it hasn't run for 9 years I think I'd pull the plugs, throw some oil in there, and turn it over before starting.

If there isn't much is in the tank, just putting fresh fuel in there with it would probably do the trick.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not yet, engine work is getting done a week tomorrow, I'll let them worry about that 😀

1 - 14 of 14 Posts