Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi here i recently purchased a 2005 selespeed 147 and i noticed that whenever i want to go into reverse i have to shift it into first gear and then put it in reverse. Does anyone know why this is happening and a way to fix it ?
thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Your best bet is to get it on a diagnostic code reader and see what pops up .
There have been loads of similar issues on here last couple of weeks.
I'm no expert on the subject I'm afraid but a few simple things to check
Have a good look at the fuses and the relays ,check the handbook to find the right ones.
Check for leaks and oil level.
A favourite is the switch on the brake pedal can be faulty so send a bad or no message to the box/ecu
But to be honest you need to find a really good mechanic who knows the system.
Could be anything from a recalibration ,clutch change,actuator fault ,or sensor faults to name a few .
Good luck :thumbs:

G

·
0 Posts
I've seen so many posts recently think they should be called " Sorryspeeds" :cry:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, i ordered a diag scanner so ill waot and see what that says, hopefully not an expensive fix

G

·
0 Posts
Selespeeds are awsome bits of kit, they are manual gearboxes with an acuartor mounted on the top but you have to know how to look after them...

Link to a really good write up... http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/159750-selespeed-clutch-rod-adjustment-with-alfadiag.html#post2447708
I couldn't get on with the one I drove . Think there a bit marmite love or don't .
I always thought they would be more suited to a bigger engine ;)
Do agree about maintenance though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the exact same problem... took it to the dealer... and was quoted $3500 to fix it.... which is the same amount I just paid for the car 2 days ago... they claim it needs a new actuator... in my case... the battery is new, the fluid level is fine, I reset the computer, but to no avail... I think I may just live with the problem until I can find someone in the know to help me chase down the gremlin. My selespeed works fine in every other way... and only gives me trouble when the engine is warm... and being restarted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
check your selespeed oil level.
if you're pressure drops, reverse is the first that starts to struggle.
If you do not have a diagnostics yet, fill the selespeed, then start the car 5 times, each time you'll hear 2 knocks from the gearbox, directly after start, you have to switch it off then.. after 5 times you'll have blead the system and the gears should feel fine including reverse selection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts