Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 147 with a "croaky" clutch pedal. It seems to make this sound at the very top... just as you put your foot on or off the pedal.

Have tried to get the mechanic to use basic lube on it but it keeps coming back.

Any good suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Will

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
mine's like this too, the brake pedal makes a bit of a groan too when depressed.

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
my 159 has this :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I fixed mine!!!!
I got my head under there (difficut as I am big boned) and lubed the pushrod and balljoint that transfer the movement of the clutch through the bulkhead (push the pedal and grease what moves).
I used common grease (vasoline should also work) and it took a few days to work its way in.

SILENCE.

One tip though. There is a white switch attached to the clutch mechanism. Dont get any grease on it or your cruise control will not work. You have been warned!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
PS not a hard job to do. Pics can be taken if you need them. Just ask me nicely.
Be patient with the fix. It might take at least a hundred pedal pushes to work the grease in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all that replied.

Have lubed all the moving parts (yes you are right... very difficult to contort yourself to get a good look at it all and push the clutch at the same time!)

Will take care with the white switch too... sounds serious to affect the CControl.

Will bet Selespeed next time!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I had the same problem on my 147. I tried to lubricte it myself but gave up. Garage sorted it last time it went in - been fine now for a couple of months. :)

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Please Martin , post some pics...I have the exact same issue on mine and I'm not a veryy skilled mechanical person...
Don't have cruise control so no worries there...:)
Thx!
Will do. Have a few jobs to do on the motor so will post some good monday afternoon pics for you. keep your eyes peeled! :)

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Thanks! :eek:
I spryed a bit under there but the noise would constantly reapper and then dissapear again...I gues with the weather...
Prob best to lube with something that will stay on there like proper gloopy grease. Rub it on with your finger. You know you want to.:)

V:) Vaseline should do if you dont want to buy grease.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Careful you don't over-lubricate the split pin that holds these two rods together through the rubber bush. I've never tried to lubricate this myself, prefering to put up with the noise rather than have this connection part in unfavourable circumstances. Twice the split pin through the connection has fired off into the unknown and left me stranded. The pedal rods meet at a bad angle and put stress on the pin so it eases out - possibly been put in the wrong direction in the first place. Never travel now without a 2" nail with a head and a pair of plyers.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
mines does a terrible grinding noise when im in 1st gear and try to drive off to an uphill or a big ramp/step....

wasted eyh?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
One tip though. There is a white switch attached to the clutch mechanism. Dont get any grease on it or your cruise control will not work. You have been warned!
Not so! My noise is the white switch (just as you take your foot off the clutch). Just a put a little grease where the plunger from the white switch touches the pedal. Result: all quiet for at least 6 months!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Apologies Allex for the lack of pics. Been a bit busy last few days. Will try get some done tomorrow afternoon.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts