Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to do some work on a 147 today, thaught I would post my my findings in case it helps anyone in the future.
Had the car into my workshop last week as the battery kept going flat over night, it was fine when I tested it and stayed fine for the whole of last weekend so the owner had it back, it was fine for another week but would not start today, I checked it out and found a 0.80A discharge on the battery, I eventually traced it to the drivers window control unit (incorporated in the window switch assy). It took me nearly 2 hours to find as it was back feeding quite a few circuits including the instrument cluster, radio and heater control. Boring post but might help some one in the future :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
my battery died last night, had to get a push start off one of the lads
here's what turned out to be the problem

i'd left my key in the ignition with the lights on when i was working on his car :lol:

silly me! :rolleyes: :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi have thye same 0.8 problem, what did you do with the window switch? cheers Chris
Hi Chris, I put a new window switch assy on the car I was having problems with, if you remove the switch and unplug it then check the reading again, connect the amp meter and wait for a little while to make sure it drops below 0.05A (in my experience 0.05A discharge is about the highest acceptable limit, it will take up to a minute for the reading to drop down as things power up when you connect the battery)
Let me know how you get on.:thumbs:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
On the 147 it was about 60 mA, and the handbook said a max of???? can't remember, but it was less than that I think?:confused: Was it about 36mA.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
The plot thickens, couldnt find it so I took it to Autocentre, their electrician found loads of fault codes and contacted Alfa technical support who told them the dash pods were failing and the car would need rewiring!!!! The car would then need a re program that only Alfa could do! Anyway, I took it to Alfa, they said they have never heard of A} Being able to ring Alfa Technical support,slightly worrying! and B} dash pods needing to be replaced. Anyway they cant look at it until Monday. so I am stranded!!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You would be better taking it to an independant auto electrician who is experienced in this sort of fault finding, look one up on yell.com or google for one in your area, if you are in surrey look up Hammond Auto.

R

·
0 Posts
The plot thickens, couldnt find it so I took it to Autocentre, their electrician found loads of fault codes and contacted Alfa technical support who told them the dash pods were failing and the car would need rewiring!!!! The car would then need a re program that only Alfa could do! Anyway, I took it to Alfa, they said they have never heard of A} Being able to ring Alfa Technical support,slightly worrying! and B} dash pods needing to be replaced. Anyway they cant look at it until Monday. so I am stranded!!!!
Have you checked the rear lights, a faulty rev counter can mean the rear lights are left permenantly very dimly lit, can be hard to see without looking, if they are a replacement rev counter from same model/year/engine etc from ebay for £20ish will solve this, takes about 10 mins to do...couple of screws, plug RC in/out :thumbs:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, I have checked that. Thanks. Alfa cant find a drain! Or any fault codes! They reckon it is the rear hatch catch (which has always been a bit dodgy) so they are going to replace it and see what happens. Its on order so hopefully it will turn up before petrol runs out!!! Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Had to do some work on a 147 today, thaught I would post my my findings in case it helps anyone in the future.
Had the car into my workshop last week as the battery kept going flat over night, it was fine when I tested it and stayed fine for the whole of last weekend so the owner had it back, it was fine for another week but would not start today, I checked it out and found a 0.80A discharge on the battery, I eventually traced it to the drivers window control unit (incorporated in the window switch assy). It took me nearly 2 hours to find as it was back feeding quite a few circuits including the instrument cluster, radio and heater control. Boring post but might help some one in the future :thumbs:
Sorry but could you explain how you find out if there is a drain and from what...?
I have the same problem..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dont know if its different on the 147 .. but the radio (Original) on my 156 can be turned on even with the keys out. I don't mind this too much .. but for those with heavy duty ICE equipment it might be something to think about.

Must be a live feed in there all the time to maintain codes , but usually you cant power up a radio etc with the ignition off .. anything tapped into that line will be live too.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
10 Posts
well, the main dealer is nothing if not reliable! as usual another c**k up. They have ordered the wrong part. Let's see what they can come up with tomorrow, to find it was draining i used an electrical test meter and did an in line battery test with the keys out and everything turned off, this showed 0.8 amp drain.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Gotcha..:thumbs: Have a feeling my problem lies with the front indicators, side lights and lower spot lights as I had a different bumper fitted and i think the guy wired it up wrong..

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gotcha..:thumbs: Have a feeling my problem lies with the front indicators, side lights and lower spot lights as I had a different bumper fitted and i think the guy wired it up wrong..
Not unless he has wired it straight up to the battery! your lights go dead when you turn the ignition off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, two damp, short journey filled days later and all is well! The chap on the service desk was very helpful and told me that the GT and the 147 were 2 of the most electrical control unit basic cars on the market!!!! Coming from a 127/X19 background thats pretty scary!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts