Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I recently discovered my car's passenger wiper was moving in time with my driver side wiper but was a bit floppy.
I stopped the car and took a look and it looked like the passenger wiper arm where it meets the nut at the bottom was misaligned. It was out of place and I could move it into any direction I wanted very easily.
I took it to the garage and they said you need a wiper kit.
I used something similar on my fiat punto: ALFA 147 WIPER MOTOR LINKAGE RODS ONLY.2000-2005 Wipex Kit No149 | eBay
I then asked the garage if this kit would work, but they said it's best to buy the wiper kit complete with the motor. They were getting it in for over £200 without the vat and fitting obviously be extra.
I cant currently afford to spend that kind of money as I have already spent over £600 within 2 months. And like everyone we don't know when we will be going back to work.

My question is can I use the cheaper kit in that link above or is there somewhere cheaper I can get it from?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
361 Posts
Not sure. Remove the wiper arms and scuttle plate yourself if they are not removed already and have a look at what is broken.

I know there is a thread on here of someone who did a repair on their broken arm. A combination of wire and some epoxy was used.

You could try a used one, but the 147 wiper assembly is a known weak point unfortunately so a used one is on borrowed time already.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure. Remove the wiper arms and scuttle plate yourself if they are not removed already and have a look at what is broken.

I know there is a thread on here of someone who did a repair on their broken arm. A combination of wire and some epoxy was used.

You could try a used one, but the 147 wiper assembly is a known weak point unfortunately so a used one is on borrowed time already.
I'll have to buy one, as I don't have the tools for the job. The garage has already checked it themselves.
I'll have a look at the other post though, if it can be done I will see.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I've just repaired my wiper mechanism with a replacement linkage from eBay - eBay wiper linkage. The plastic part at the drivers end of the linkage normally breaks leaving the wiper loose - the wiper arm was hitting the bonnet lip on my GT. This replacement part is all metal so will not fail again and is not too difficult to fit one you have the mechanism and motor out of the car. Much cheaper than £200+ for a complete replacement.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just repaired my wiper mechanism with a replacement linkage from eBay - eBay wiper linkage. The plastic part at the drivers end of the linkage normally breaks leaving the wiper loose - the wiper arm was hitting the bonnet lip on my GT. This replacement part is all metal so will not fail again and is not too difficult to fit one you have the mechanism and motor out of the car. Much cheaper than £200+ for a complete replacement.
That sounds like the same issue. Thanks

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Ah so it's slack in that arm that causes the arm to strike the bonnet?

Mine has been contacting for years, got a nice set of matching wear marks on the bonnet and drivers wiper arm.

Does fixing the linkage reduce/stop judder? I'm guessing a fixed linkage means better down-pressure on the windscreen glass?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts