Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

I'm wondering what kind of wheels+alloys to put under my 147. I'm putting Eibach sport springs in the near future (30/30mm) so that would make the car less tractor-like :)

But the thing is, should I pick 17" or 18" alloys. Does 8x18" alloy with 225/40/18 tires fit in ok or do I should expect problems??? :eek:

What kind of tires are you running with 147's?

Thx in advance.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
afaik when you move to 17" & 18" alloys/tyres the ride becomes compromiosed, great form smooth surfaces but harsh for other road surfaces

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
8" will fit, so long as the offset is correct. it will need to be around +35mm, give/take 3mm.

225/40 is the appropriate tyre for this wheel on that car.

as above, bigger wheels are a compromise, but that's ok for many people. it will offer a 'harder' ride, though is subject to tyre choice (some definitely have stiffer tyre walls, like high-end Bridgestone) and pressures.

i personally buy a high quality tyre, of which there's heaps to choose from. my personal shortlist would include Pirelli PZero, Bridgestone RE001 or RE050, Goodyear F1 Eagle or Asymmetric. i have used 'better value' brands too, and have no probs recommending Falken and Toyo.

for better ride comfort and handling, with bigger (heavier) wheels, it is worth upgrading the dampers too, even if it's in the future.

with 17s, you could go with 215/45 or 225/45 tyres.

alfa bolt pattern is uncommon: 5x98mm. so wheel choice - if you want perfect fitment - is limited. it is easiest to buy original alfa wheels (or copies) for direct fitment. there's obviously a big range, because you can choose from any that are designed for the 147, 156, and GT.

with non-alfa wheels, you may need to buy 5x100mm wheels. then use 'wobble bolts' which can hold them in position. that is safe and common practice. but you must ensure the centre bore hole (the big hole in the centre) has the right spacer ring fitted to provide a 58.1mm diameter hole, so that the wheel fits snuggly onto the alfa hub. the hub takes most of the force/weight; the bolts just help hold the wheel in position onto the hub.

:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay,
thanks for a very good reply 'shiny_car' :thumbs:

I probably choose 17" wheels, likely to have better and softer feel on the road. From 17-size alloys there are two options: Oz Botticelli or Oz Michelangelo 10. Let's see how this ends up after I get my eibach-springs rollin'

·
7,713 Posts
Botticelli is a gorgeous looking wheel. i think it would suit the 147 pretty well. better than the Miche 10, which i don't think would look good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, botticelli is a beauty... at the moment botticelli is the one... 8x17" alloys with 225/40 tires. what do you guys think, does it fit alright?

it's too bad, that I can't see beforehand how it looks under 147... does anyone have botticelli with alfa?

R

·
0 Posts
wobbly bolts? I want a wheel that is fitted with proper jobbers! Especially when the unmarked police car is following me at 120mph! Been there done that! Good job they were firearms not roads!!

·
7,713 Posts
yeah, botticelli is a beauty... at the moment botticelli is the one... 8x17" alloys with 225/40 tires. what do you guys think, does it fit alright?
with the right offset, should be fine. with an 8" wide wheels, between +32 to +38mm should be fine.

better with a 215/45 or 225/45 tyre on a 17" wheel on the 147. from the point of view of speed accuracy.

indeed, if they are only available as 5x100mm PCD, then you'll need wobble bolts. so long as the centre bore hole has the right size hub ring (to provide a 58.1mm diameter hub hole, to match the alfa hubs), you'll be fine from a fitment/safety POV; not sure what implications it may have with your local road regs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah... i now have a set of botticelli in the trunk waiting...
it's 8x17" and with 225/45 tires... today i try to fit them under 147. let's see how it goes :)

·
7,713 Posts
photos when you're done! :D

·
7,713 Posts
they suit the 147 nicely. indeed, lowering is in order. ;)

thanks for posting. if you can post more after the Eibachs that'd be excellent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, now the front is okay. but still... the back could be more lower... but then again... it looks fine to me. :cool:

and yes, eibach prokit 30mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Im in the process of purchasing some gta teledials for my 147 and that settles it, i'm ordering 30mm drop springs and new dampers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts