Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been answered before however I couldn't find anything on it...

I need to know the wheel bolt torque for a 147 Lusso with 15" Alloys?

eLearn isn't clear on it, seems to suggest many different values?

Any help appreciated,

Attachments

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Ball park figure would be around 80 ft. lbs.

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
Should be 90 - 110 Nm. I use about 105Nm.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
With Armoore 80ft.lbs. Got a chart somewhere relating to bolt D&L, thread pitch and material somewhere when I can locate it! :(:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Just as an aside. Her's indoors foreign machine, has studs and nuts, not bolts as per her previously owned 147 did:(:

Same dimensions thread pitch, but a different torque value which I meticulously adhere to, as we all know what can happen to interference fit splined studs and nuts, as opposed to bolts if one is not careful do we not!!!! :D :lol:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Ah! armoore my friend. Can you tell me the correct method of measuring a bonded seal (Dowty type) accurately? Thanks.:): Zed.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I always have been told 90 ft/lbs and to check em after a little while if if you have alloys as they slacken slightly. Must admit that feels about right when I do it.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Never had one slacken off at the correct torque, and always watched the appropriate reverse reading on the torque wrench when I did remove them? Fastidious attention to detail?:lol:

G

·
is there a danger from over tightening, i doubt you'd strip the threads unless you went seriously over but ive never used a torque wrench on mine just hand tight then stand on the brace until it can take my weight without turning (very scientific :lol:)

·
Registered
961 Posts
is there a danger from over tightening, i doubt you'd strip the threads unless you went seriously over but ive never used a torque wrench on mine just hand tight then stand on the brace until it can take my weight without turning (very scientific :lol:)
Unless you are very light or using a very small brace, you are probably overtightening if you are standing on the brace!

Over tightening nuts can cause them to work harden and fail, and they can damage your nice shiny alloy.

Also, with a bit of corrosion can make them a b*****d to remove, which sods law suggests will be in the ******* rain and freezing cold when you need to!

Woman medical student died in crash after driver bolted wheel-nuts too tightly | Mail Online

OK, so it's from the Daily Mail, but even so!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Ah, I think it was the bearing that was overtightened in that article. Sorry! But either way, a torque wrench is a very useful tool and only around £30. Will last you for life if you look after it.

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
I tighten them by feel too, but I don't put all my weight on them, just lean on them with knees still on the ground :lol: Seems to be about the same as the local ATS use as I can undo anything they've done up about as easily as undoing my own. Never used the TW on them yet. Might check to see what I've been using :)

I'm not worried as I know they're pretty tight and done in the right sequence ;)

78,000 miles and counting!

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Ah! armoore my friend. Can you tell me the correct method of measuring a bonded seal (Dowty type) accurately? Thanks.:): Zed.
Well the way I do it is as follows. Use vernier gauge and check for zero error, easy to do on the digital types, very gently expand the inside jaws of the caliper until the jaws just touch the rubber. Take reading and repeat twice with the washer rotated through 120 degrees to check. As the rubber will squash down, and decrease slightly in diameter as it does so, it will fill irregularities I don't think that the tolerance has to be that small so errors will not matter that much. Alternatively sliding the washer over a bar of known diameter so that it just slides will give a good approximation.

http://www.clark-engineering.com/media/uploads/cat-89/hydraulic_seals.pdf

They say that if you ring them they'll talk you through it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts