Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At last some rain! I've been driving around without a passenger seat and carpet pulled up for over a week now to try and get to the bottom of my damp passengers footwell, waiting for some rain to get in. Like a few people on the forum water doesn't seem to get in from water falling on the car but more from driving on wet roads.

The first photo shows the wet sound proofing material when I first pulled up the carpet (it dried out within a couple of days in last weeks heat).

The next 2 pics show where I shoved kitchen roll after my first drive in todays wet conditions didn't seem to leak in any water. This paper got wet on this second drive.

My question to anyone in the know is - is this channel with rubber bungs in (under which I put the paper) used to drain water away, I presume so because of the bungs, plus I put kitchen roll inside the bunged section and that got wet too? Does anyone know how water could be getting under this bunged channel, I guess it could be coming in from further up but I hope not! Also I say that water doesn't get in from above but I have not washed the car in dry conditions with kitchen roll in place so I guess I can't rule that out either!! Help, anyone.

(By the way the white power is talc and not contraband)

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok scrap what I said before - leak is definitely coming from the windscreen area, sprayed the hose on the passengers door area first for a good while and nothing leaked in, then tried the bottom left corner of windscreen (passengers side) and nothing, but when I spray the top corner it started to trickle through - where I had the kitchen roll on the pics I posted.

Nothing in service records/receipts about windscreen being replaced, have posted letter to previous owner to see if it has been do so at least I could try and got whoever fitted it to re-do it. Got to say though window seal seems visually ok to me?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wing panel and pillar, 147 leak source?

Arrgh!! well it's not the windscreen after all, if I concentrate water on where the wing panel and pillar meet (pictured) it finds it's way to the passengers footwell as shown on my earlier post, any ideas on the route it's taking?

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
You will be surprised where water can enter the 147. My footwell looked exactly like yours - proper cess pit. I had water entering through two 'holes'.

1. If you take off the passenger side wheelarch liner (UK cars) you will see a large oval rubber grommet/gasket near to the bottom at about sill level. On my car this had come loose, but not fallen off, and was directing water directly into the hollow sill section. The water was initially draining through the correct channels near where the bonnet strut is attached. If you shine a light into this grommet hole you can see the beam inside the car where you've put some kitchen towel. I applied loads of silicone sealant and put the grommet back - fixed that one!!

2. I still have water enter the car via the sill some where in that area, but ONLY and ONLY when I drive through a deep puddle so that the entire wheelarch gets a good soaking. Pooring rain and standing water on the motorway are no problem. So I reccon that a gap or seam between the outer wing and the inner structure is not sealed. The driver-side does not have the same issue.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ken and rbaron, I really hope it's not a dash out job! Going to investigate that wheel arch liner, is it simple to get at?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes, take wheel off first. Wheelarch liner is held on by 4 or 5 screws. No clips or press-fit fasteners. Does need some coaxing to get it out, though.

Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, take wheel off first. Wheelarch liner is held on by 4 or 5 screws. No clips or press-fit fasteners. Does need some coaxing to get it out, though.

Good luck.
Cheers, looks like that's the spot, behind the wheel arch liner, directed a jet of water into the corner and it found it's way inside. Rubber bung was firmly in place, didn't seem to be that, looked it may be the dark area in shadow on the photo, whole area is covered in what feels like a rubber adhesive? Need 2 new front tyres fitting so have booked it in with garage tomorrow and asked if they could seal that area with something. Fingers crossed!

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
My car is black too. Maybe it's something to do with their assembly. As I said, normal run-off doesn't cause me a problem, only driving through deep puddles at more than crawling pace. Perhaps my joints were sealed just that little bit higher than yours. I used a hairdryer to dry the inside of my sill out before I sealed it. I still expect corrosion at some point. The previous owner had let the underfelt get really stinky!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have a look here - Alfa 147 Dash Leak - LHS - a set on Flickr

Water was entering through a badly sealed seam where the bulkhead joins the air intake cavity - at the bottom LH corner below the windscreen.

Dashboard out to fix :)
My efforts didn't sort the problem with my leak, are the pics on flickr yours? Did you do this work yourself, if so how did you seal the seam?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Are you sure it is not the air con? Mine was the air con, and it is all sorted now thanks to the Alfa modification!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you sure it is not the air con? Mine was the air con, and it is all sorted now thanks to the Alfa modification!
Pretty sure it's not, I don't have any damp on the foam at the back, water trickles in the left hand corner of the passenger footwell when I direct water at where the wing meets the pillar.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have a look here - Alfa 147 Dash Leak - LHS - a set on Flickr

Water was entering through a badly sealed seam where the bulkhead joins the air intake cavity - at the bottom LH corner below the windscreen.

Dashboard out to fix :)

I've just taken out some of the black rubber at the back of footwell to see if I could find any entry point for the water but there was no trace, I put talc everywhere and it's tipping it down with rain, water did enter through usual corner indicated on photos, looks like a different entry point to that of photos on Ken's post. I know water gets through when I concentrate a garden hose on base of pillar on passengers side.

I took the wheel arch liner out the other day, I had already done this recently to add sealant to the bottom of wheel arch but I didn't put any sealant at the top inside corner so I took out foam from inside of wing (above indicator) and had a look at the seal that was there, what I noticed was where the black foam had been touching the sealed panel, the manufactures sealant was slightly perished on its surface, I stabbed into it with a pen knife and water dripped out, this was on a dry day, maybe this is it? Didn't seal it then as I decided to pour water on instead to see if I could see it getting in so when it's dry again think I will try that.

Worried I'm getting slightly obsesive about this now, just want to sort it and not have to think about the damp or smell it anymore!!! :wow:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Isn't it funny how something so small can bring out the OCD in all of us??

I am getting water in my rear OS footwell. Its not coming up, as I have seen droplets of water ontop of the carpet. Its got me stumped...... :headbang:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Crayon,

Keep at it. That's exactly where I have the water coming in too. You can see the water trickleing inside the sill section before it even weeps into the cabin.

No amount of rain, hose pipeing or buckets of water cause a leak.

Deep puddle or standing water on the motorway are the problem for me. So it is definitely coming in from where the tyre can throw it upwards. What about where the pillar that supports the door and the inside of the wing meet when viewed from the wheelarch.

Another route...up above where the inertia fuel cut-off reset mechanism sits. Yes, right up under the dash as well, there are a series of holes and rubber grommets. I did have some water enter through these, but that would only account for a small amount of it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers for the encouragement, got the wheel off again a couple of nights ago and sprayed sealant in that pillar/wing area, not rained yet but fingers crossed when it does!! I have not put the black foam back in the wing as it was still damp from when it rained 2 days earlier and I wanted the sprayed on sealant to dry. Does anyone know the exact purpose of this foam, got a feeling it's been trapping water between it and the corner bulkhead panel and eventually perished some original sealant? I noticed the foam had a bit of a tear in it which was making it retain water, is this what it should be doing? Oh here it is again, my OCD kicking in :)

As well as spraying the sealant I also cleaned around the door hinge fixings and added some flowable silicone (made by Permatex) this is designed for windscreens as it weeps into tiny gaps so though it should be ideal for this job, don't think it's getting in through there but thought I might as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After extensive efforts I never did solve this footwell leak so what does anyone think of the idea of removing the tar like sound proofing in the footwell to allow water to drain through some crescent shaped drain holes which apparently are covered by this stuff. Going to use either a hair dryer or heat gun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is an area of sealant that was missed off a production run of 147s in early 200x. It is hidden behind the wing about 2 inches below your area highlighted in post 3. Water runs down here soaks through a "foamy" material and comes out as described in the sill box section. If I remember correctly the only way to access this is to remove front wing. I don't know whether this has been discussed on forums but is worth a nosey before you take the plunge..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is an area of sealant that was missed off a production run of 147s in early 200x. It is hidden behind the wing about 2 inches below your area highlighted in post 3. Water runs down here soaks through a "foamy" material and comes out as described in the sill box section. If I remember correctly the only way to access this is to remove front wing. I don't know whether this has been discussed on forums but is worth a nosey before you take the plunge..

Thanks for that, that sounds promising, will post back with my findings. Can I ask how you know about this missing sealant?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts