Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
147, LHD. It only fills with water on the passenger site, aka where in your RHD cars is the drivers seat.

It happens when it rains, car is stationary.

What I did:
Clean under the scuttle panel.
Refitted both wheelarch bungs.
Small bunges near the hinges of the doors, refitted.
Poured some water on the windows of the door, checked for water coming down the interior door card, dry.
NO A/C used, so AC pipe I doubt it.
No coolant lost.
Underneath the car, there are small plungs, all in place.
I have pressed all around the door seals, it's secure in place.
Cleaned the junk around the bungs which are near the hinges of the bonnet.

Any input? Oh and Happy New Year :banana:

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Sometimes the seal round the front windscreen leaks.....
Another one: leakage at bottom of door(s) depends on the angle of the car

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes the seal round the front windscreen leaks.....
Another one: leakage at bottom of door(s) depends on the angle of the car
I tested it at the same location where my car was parked during the rain and suffered water ingress. And I did spread 2 liters of water on it, which should equate a light rain, all needed for the swamp to be collected.

Windscreen is factory, can it really loose structual integrity over time? It's a 2003 car.

I've read it's not bad to remove all together the scuttle panel drain hoses(the rubber grommet which sits in the hole). What do you think?

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Windscreen is factory, can it really loose structual integrity over time? It's a 2003 car.
Windscreen is glued into the frame. Glue can age, or frame can rust causing leakage. You wouldn't be the first .....
Should be visible though if you put a garden hose on it for some time ....

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Windscreen is glued into the frame. Glue can age, or frame can rust causing leakage. You wouldn't be the first .....
Should be visible though if you put a garden hose on it for some time ....
Well, the water I can feel comes from the underlaying carpet, I can't spot any drops from anywhere when I'm in the car. I've been to those car wash places numerous times to no success.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Spray a light dusting of talc over the area inside the car and leave the car out in the rain. The water will displace the talc when it runs in showing where it is getting in.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I had a leak from the door membrane seal which was slightly creased where stuck to the door frame at the bottom. This allowed water that got past the window weather seal to dribble down the inside of the door frame, through the crease and drip on to the door opening kick strip. Formed a puddle on the kick strip that would empty itself into the car when you drove off. Thing was it didn't always leak, pretty random in fact so testing might not reveal anything.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I had a car years ago that did the same I couldn’t locate leak just feel wet carpets. My thinking was the carpet is soaked and needs to dry so I took it out to dry in garage and that allowed me to locate the leak as I could identify the water running down bulkhead with no carpet in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts