Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been ages since I started fighting this issue and have read every thread here. I still feel like I need your help.

I tried pouring 5 liters of water nearly everywhere to no available. As seen on the pictures, I suspect that’s where the water is coming from due to the surface rust.
Where does that gap leads to, any ideas? I tried the usual suspects already obviously. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well after dismantling half the car, I come with a rescue for my water ingress. It’s coming from the bolt, which you use to hold the carpet - the weld or seal had perished and water was sleeping in easily. Picture attached.

I will silicone this and hopefully after letting the carpet dry for a week, won’t ever have to peel it up again.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would try and seal it up on the outside of the bolt as well if that is accessible. Might as well try and remove the rust as well if it is just surface rust. A scrape, wire brush some rust converter and some top coat should be good enough for peace of mind. Not that anyone will be looking there anytime soon.

It can take a long time to dry out the underlay on some cars. Make sure it is all bone dry when it goes back, otherwise it can smell.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would try and seal it up on the outside of the bolt as well if that is accessible. Might as well try and remove the rust as well if it is just surface rust. A scrape, wire brush some rust converter and some top coat should be good enough for peace of mind. Not that anyone will be looking there anytime soon.

It can take a long time to dry out the underlay on some cars. Make sure it is all bone dry when it goes back, otherwise it can smell.
Unfortunately I don’t have a lift and I can’t work beneath the car while on the factory jack so I can’t seal it up from the outside, otherwise it would’ve been perfect to do so. I’ll do the inside for now and if the opportunity arises, I’ll do the outside. It’s somewhere behind the engine on the firewall.

As per the rust, I’ll do my usual - light sand paper to remove flakes and a Wurth rust converter to remove it entirely. A coat of touch up paint with the same color on top and it’ll be almost invisible, not that I care much about it. It would be stupid not to treat it while I have the carpet up. I have a picture attached of the rust area. Poked it vigorously with a screwdriver and it’s solid metal, thankfully.

As for the underlay, I can’t remove it from the car without the seat and center console out (I think, I tried) so I’ll just keep it lifted and soak up and wet VAC to the best of my abilities. It’ll stay up for at least a week and it’s 10+ degrees outside, so hopefully it’ll get dry sooner than later.

I was thinking of usingsome cat toilet silica stuff to soak up some of the moisture and a bacterial killer spray, perhaps?

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
It would be helpful to others to step back to photograph where the area is on/ in the car?
Looks like driver's footwell? (UK right hand side)

I had water ingress at the driver's footwell and took ages and ages to figure out what had happened.

For me the actual windscreen had de-laminated from the top corner and water was gradually seeping in, running down the inside of the A-Frame and dripping down behind the dashboard!!!

Hope you've got it sorted now?

Yes it takes a while for it to dry out; could put newspaper there and replace it every trip til it's been soaked up.
Also could use a hair dryer.

And yes with the rust removal and rust curer and painted over to stop it spreading.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It would be helpful to others to step back to photograph where the area is on/ in the car?
Looks like driver's footwell? (UK right hand side)

I had water ingress at the driver's footwell and took ages and ages to figure out what had happened.

For me the actual windscreen had de-laminated from the top corner and water was gradually seeping in, running down the inside of the A-Frame and dripping down behind the dashboard!!!

Hope you've got it sorted now?

Yes it takes a while for it to dry out; could put newspaper there and replace it every trip til it's been soaked up.
Also could use a hair dryer.

And yes with the rust removal and rust curer and painted over to stop it spreading.

Good luck with it!
My car is LHD and that’s the passenger footwell, right under the glovebox. I’ll provide the picture as an update to this post later today. I suppose it’s equivalent to the passenger side on RHD vehicles. It’s the bolt which you use as a thread to tighten the hand screw, which hold the carpet to the ground.

I haven't confirmed it's fixed yet as I left the PU sealant to harder and the weather is sunny in Bulgaria. A pressure washer will test it too, I just have to find the time. Poured water on all other usual points of entrance for water and there weren't any leaks. The only way I found mine is by removing the scuttle panel and pouring a lot of water in the area to the right (on my LHD car), which is the opposite side to where the drain tube is.

I tried a Wet VAC but it didn’t pull much which is why I have left the carpet lifted to air out. The newspaper trick is nice, I have been using towels so far.

Picture as promised has been attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
New update. The bolt is leak free but I noticed a new leak after today’s rainstorm. As seen in the photo, water somehow makes its way in the sill. It enters from the circled crease where there is some sort of a gap. I can easily silicone it so that it doesn’t enter the footwell but I want to instead fix the cause. What are the entrance points of water in the sill? The grommet in the wheel well is siliconed. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Continuing this thread with the hopes of helping someone in the future.

Found out where water was entering the sill - it was first entering behind the glovebox from above and into the hollow sill section, traveling to the place of entrance in the footwell.

As seen in the photos, I had a piece of sealant perished beneath the right wiper (LHD drive), which allowed water to trickle down and enter the cabin. It was incredibly hard to spot as it was extremely dirty in there, I had to clean it very well until I managed to spot it.

The welds there are spot welds and if somehow the factory sealant let’s go, it’s easy for water to enter. Applied PU sealant as a fix.

A very unpleasant leak which was nearly impossible to find. Using a flashlight I just had a glimpse at the gap between the adjacent car panels.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Always good to hear of a solution to your problem. I like to try and clean out those areas once a year just to keep them free of leaves and other debris.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Always good to hear of a solution to your problem. I like to try and clean out those areas once a year just to keep them free of leaves and other debris.
Decided to update a bit further - tested it in light rain and pressure washer - no water entered the car whatsoever. Still waiting for a heavy rainstorm to confirm, but I think the problem is rectified, finally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts