Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've decided that a GTA will be my next car but can't decide between a 147 or a 156. Personally I think the 156 is better looking, but I don't need such a big car hence I've been leaning towards the 147. However since 156s can be had for £5-7k compared to the 7-9k for a 147 it puts a big tick in the 156 box. Aside from the body styles are there any major differences between the 147/56 GTAs?

Thanks

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Are you trying to start a fight? :lol:

p.s 147 is best ;)

N

·
0 Posts
I thought it was all down to practicality.

156 GTA for the single person.
147 GTA for the married/moving-in maybe soon to have 1st child.
156 GTA SW for the married person onto 2nd or 3rd child.

Have I got it wrong? :confused:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yes..... unless I've missed something....
147 GTA for the single person.
156 GTA for the married/moving-in maybe soon to have 1st child.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts

I always thought it was

156 GTA - Toy
147 GTA - Smaller Toy

:D

·
Registered
2,703 Posts

let the kids walk:lol:

N

·
0 Posts
I'm no expert by any means, but I though having kid= need hatchback? :confused: :)

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Not a huge thing, but one technical point to be aware of.

The 156 GTA doesn't have VDC.
The 147 GTA does, but it cant be switched off.

For experienced track day folk, not being able to switch off VDC is a bit of a pain sio I like that the 156 GTA doesn't have it.
It is **incredibly** stable anyway, so doesn;t need it.

Of course it would be nice to have VDC if it was totally switchable, in case you run into ice or oil on the road in winter or something.

I think I recollect some english mag reviewers thinking the 147 GTA was better setup than the 156 GTA but I cant imagine there is much difference to be honest - there is nothing much technically different (ignoring the hatch/saloon layout), maybe slightly better tuning of the springs and dampers perhaps - but a poorer weight distribution.

The 156 GTA is very practical.
Have you considered a GT 3.2? Essentially a GTA underneath, just very very slightly less poke.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Drive good examples of both and then go with what your heart says (ie buy the 156 GTA;) )

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think 156 GTA is better looking but 147 seems more new.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts

I think the above is correct... except that the 156 gta sw will only do up to 2 kids on the back seat with child / booster seats in place.

I think it's also fair to say that the 147 is a hot hatch, the 156 is more.... well touring car! and if you find the GTA mile thread, you will see that 156's are the ones filling most of the top 10 places.

I have to say - for me my family has directed the choice of GTA, but I would be very hard pressed to pick between the 3.

I had a normal 156 4 door and loved the fact I did not have have a hatchback car and the extra noise you get - but not being able to put stuff in the boot drove me mad.

Some journos felt the 156 GTA SW was the best balanced, due to the extra weight over the back end.

Very hard to pick between the 3 !

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Well i'm single and I want a 156 GTA SW, to me they are the best looking of the GTAs but the 147s are obviously that bit newer!

If I could find a lowish mileage 156 GTA SW in red with black and tan leather interior then that would be my choice!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I likes me hot hatches, this is my third :thumbs:

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
I like both of them TBH, but I think i would get the 156. It just edges it in the looks department.

Only just though. :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the response guys. I'm obviously showing my naivety as I thought a 4 door would be more practical for a 1-up family :) The 156 is only about 8 inches longer than the 147 and I suppose that is a small amount :p

I guess what I was trying to find out is since the 147 is a hot hatch is it a better performing and handling car?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Has to be the 156 ... if you buy a 147 it will look like you still live with your mum :p :lol:

(and with that thought I'm off to bed ... up at 4:30 tomorrow)

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
147 GTA or 156 gta..... if you buy either just ditch the girlfriend/partner...

and adopt 18-20 year olds so they can help clean the car:cheese:

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
You can switch ASR off in both the 147/156 but not VDC which is a version of ESP if I'm correct?

I have a young family and would say that the 156 is more practical because it's got 4 doors which is really required with kids and the boot is bigger/more practical, no problems getting a normal size pushchair /buggy in there.

Looks wise I think the 147 is more childishly raw, aggresive and modern while the 156 looks a more mature vehicle. Also the 156 is more aerodynamic so it's faster not forgetting the 200mph speedo ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts