Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm having some trouble with my 147 1.9jtdm - it's been off the road for 6 months due to a clutch issue...

As a bit of background the car has a limited slip diff (quaife), short shifter, hybrid turbo and was previously on GTA Clutch and flywheel. However this setup began to slip and I looked into replacing it. I found a uprated GTA clutch (stage 1) which I purchased and myself and a mechanic installed it into my car. When doing this I also put in a new (working) gearbox as my syncro's were broken, swapped the lsd diff over and put fresh oil in and changed a broken driveshaft etc etc. Car is on the same SMF as before.

Once the clutch was installed and we tested it, we found the clutch would not clear and all forward gears needed a lot of force to engage and reverse wouldn't at all. However when the car was off all gears would engage no problem. We put a bar against the lever on top of the box and bypassed the hydraulics with no luck, fiddled gear linkage, drove the car a few hundred miles and took the clutch out. After taking the clutch out it appeared everything looked okay, release bearing situated, clutch in the correct way etc. I sent the clutch back to the manufacturer for testing who tested it and have said it works.

I'm quite stuck at this point has anyone experienced this or got any ideas? My mechanic reckons the clutch is buggered but I'm not sure. I'm reluctant to put the clutch back in if the same will happen again!

Thanks
Ewan.

·
Vendor
45,453 Posts
The release bearing was fitted correctly? It needs to be mounted onto the input shaft and fork first and only then clicked into place in the pressure plate by pushing the actuating arm the wrong way once the gearbox is installed. I've seen people click the release bearing into the pressure plate by hand which doesn't work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The release bearing was fitted correctly? It needs to be mounted onto the input shaft and fork first and only then clicked into place in the pressure plate by pushing the actuating arm the wrong way once the gearbox is installed. I've seen people click the release bearing into the pressure plate by hand which doesn't work.

To be honest I can't recall how it was done exactly but I'm sure it wasn't pressed into the plate and I recall having to move the lever on top of the box in order to click it in. When it came out it was okay however I'm not sure how to now get it out of the pressure plate in order to re install the clutch again doing the procedure you describe above, someone suggested it needed pressed out?

·
Vendor
45,453 Posts
To be honest I can't recall how it was done exactly but I'm sure it wasn't pressed into the plate and I recall having to move the lever on top of the box in order to click it in. When it came out it was okay however I'm not sure how to now get it out of the pressure plate in order to re install the clutch again doing the procedure you describe above, someone suggested it needed pressed out?
If its clicked into the pressure plate now, then it sounds like you installed it correctly. To get it out you need to compress the circlip, you need two very small & thin flat head screwdrivers. Support the pressure plate on some wood, close one end of the circlip with one screwdriver (from the back of the pressure plate) then chase the circlip around with the other screwdriver. Then a second pair of hands will just need to tap the release bearing and it should fall out. There is a plastic retainer on the release bearing which will need sliding back over the circlip, then it will be good to use again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If its clicked into the pressure plate now, then it sounds like you installed it correctly. To get it out you need to compress the circlip, you need two very small & thin flat head screwdrivers. Support the pressure plate on some wood, close one end of the circlip with one screwdriver (from the back of the pressure plate) then chase the circlip around with the other screwdriver. Then a second pair of hands will just need to tap the release bearing and it should fall out. There is a plastic retainer on the release bearing which will need sliding back over the circlip, then it will be good to use again.

Thanks for that explanation I'll give that a go at the weekend!

Oh that small plastic clip reminds me we were slightly unsure at the time if that were to go on, which way etc. If this wasn't clipped on the right way round could it cause issues? I think we put it on so that the clip was flush with the bearing if that makes sense

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it possible the friction plate was installed wrong way round?
We thought it could be at first however once we took it out it appeared it was in the right way. I tried putting it in the wrong way to see if the clutch / gearbox side sticker could have been put on the wrong side but it didn't fit

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and the gearbox which went in was from a early on Gt 1.9jtd (03/04) whereas mines is a 2006 1.9jtdm

I checked before buying but I did wonder if that had anything to do with it

·
Registered
JTD 8v Stage1+
263 Posts
Loos like clutch disengage issue.

You should check if gearbox arm works same like your old gearbox arm (part number) and check if your actual slave pump on gearbox is compatible with "new" gearbox. Some difference there will result in incomplete disengage. Both gearbox should be C530, it should work PnP anyway.

Other reason is flywheel bad resurfaced or clutch kit (pressure plate or bearing innapropiate). Don't trust in typical stage clutchs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've just spend half a day putting the box back on and when I went to move the gearbox arm the wrong way to clip the bearing in, it hasn't moved. Some free play maybe 15mm but no real movement out of it. Any ideas? Don't want to Holy everything back together if the release bearing not clipped on right

Thanks again!

·
Registered
JTD 8v Stage1+
263 Posts
Movement to clip bearing is not big, you need to hit arm with hammer or similar. After with metal bar you can try to move arm and see if pressure plate-bearing are attached (small movement with big force). Then install clutch slave pump.

·
Vendor
45,453 Posts
Movement to clip bearing is not big, you need to hit arm with hammer or similar. After with metal bar you can try to move arm and see if pressure plate-bearing are attached (small movement with big force). Then install clutch slave pump.
I just push the arm by hand, no need for a hammer. Takes a bit of force, but not so much you need a tool. Just a hard push against the arm, pushing it towards the slave cylinder bracket and you should hear the release bearing click into the friction plate. If it doesn't, time to take the box back off and find out what's wrong.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi

So I've went out tonight and put a pry bar against it both ways and it's worked! I don't recall it actually making a clicking noise in particular but I can now move the arm towards the engine about 3cm but it does take a lot of force. I'll put the rest of it back together at the weekend and see if it goes!

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally got rest of the car together last night (excluding drive shafts so it's still off the ground). Put the battery in (which was fully charged a few days before ) and the engine didn't even attempt to turn over the starter just clicked. I stuck it back on charge today and tried it (while jumpstarting it at the same time) and it just clicks. No (relevant) error codes so looks like I'm needing a new battery before I can see if its worked!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a new battery through and the car still doesn't attempt to start it just clicks. Any ideas with this? I haven't checked fuses but if its clicking it must have power. Any way to check starter is working? Tempted to bump start it at the weekend to be honest

·
Registered
JTD 8v Stage1+
263 Posts
Check all fuses and engine starter wires, you can hit it with some nylon or wood hammer in case it is stuck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll give it a bash with a hammer see if it can get it going!

Was just thinking about the thick black cable which runs from the starter to the gearbox mount at the wing(?) and whether it should be there or if it should be on the battery or elsewhere?

Thanks for the suggestions I'll update with how I get on at the weekend

1 - 20 of 31 Posts