Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed the springs and dampers on my car and one side of the rear (nearside) sits 2.4cm lower than the other, before I re-connected the rear antiroll bar I noticed this, but after the drop links were fitted the problem corrected itself, at least for a few weeks, but now its back. I ve double checked and measured everything, there was a 6mm gap between the collar on the antiroll bar and the roll bar braket so I loosened the bracket and moved the bar until the gap was an even 3mm each side which did improve the problem slightly, but the car is still 2cm lower one side. Anyone got any ideas ? I m totally stumped.

G

·
I wonder whether you've been very unlucky and a 'rogue spring' got in your kit at the factory?

Not the type of thing you'd tend to check because you'd assume all the right bits were in the box, but do you remember both the rear springs being the same length before you fitted them?

Out of interest, what make are the parts you've fitted?

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder whether you've been very unlucky and a 'rogue spring' got in your kit at the factory?

Not the type of thing you'd tend to check because you'd assume all the right bits were in the box, but do you remember both the rear springs being the same length before you fitted them?

Out of interest, what make are the parts you've fitted?
Theyre Eibachs, I ve put it on the ramp and measured them and theyre the same length, I ve seen the problem on another car too, with standard springs.

I m sure its somehow linked to the anti roll bar.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Roll bar bushes aren't goosed are they?? Clutching at straws but im sure i heard someone say their car did this (albeit on the front). New ARB bushes made it a lot better?? Either that or a slight bend in the bar?

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roll bar bushes aren't goosed are they?? Clutching at straws but im sure i heard someone say their car did this (albeit on the front). New ARB bushes made it a lot better?? Either that or a slight bend in the bar?
Bushes are brand new, I ll check the bar for bends, but seems unlikely.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Do suspension components need to bed in? Sounds like bs to me but if you are confident everything is fitted correctly then either the parts are faulty or 20mm is the tolerance of the springs.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Could get the alignment checked although I'm not sure how it would identify the problem. How bad does 20mm look? Not sure mine sits exactly the same at each corner. It has eibach pro springs.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
When I fitted the new springs and dampers one of the top ounts came apart (very rusty), I put it back together in a press.

So yesterday I fitted new top mounts, the one that I pressed back together came out in one piece but had come apart a little, thought this may have been the problem . . . until I realised that it came from the lower side.

Both springs have the same part number on (though I didnt measure them), put it all back together, still have the same problem.

I m still totally stumped, car looks stupid with a big gap between one rear wheel and smaller gaps on all other wheels.

I guess it could be the dampers, theyre Monroes, for 156 Sportpack and GTAs so have a slightly shorter piston, and I spose there could have been a mix up at the factory and I could have got one normal one instead of a Sportpack/GTA one

·
Registered
80 Posts
I personally would ditch the monroe shocks and fit a set of proper shortened shocks specifically for a 147. I fitted 40mm lowering springs to standard shocks on my my 147, it looked ok but I always thought it could go lower, then I changed the shocks to proper shortened items and it now looks so much better.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I personally would ditch the monroe shocks and fit a set of proper shortened shocks specifically for a 147. I fitted 40mm lowering springs to standard shocks on my my 147, it looked ok but I always thought it could go lower, then I changed the shocks to proper shortened items and it now looks so much better.
Yeah, I m really gonna ditch em after spending money on em. Besides the type of shock has zero to do with my problem, 147, 156 and GT suspension is pretty much interchangeable, the Monroes are "proper" and their shortened pistons are also "proper". I ve previously had 156 Sportpack springs on the back of a 147 WITHOUT uneven ride height.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How about completely removing the rear shocks and springs and lay them side by side and check the height. Are the top mounts fitted correctly? Check the 2 bolt holes in the shock absorbers are in the same position (possible manufacturing defect). I tighten up suspension bolts with the suspension compressed up to it ride height, maybe try that?

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How about completely removing the rear shocks and springs and lay them side by side and check the height. Are the top mounts fitted correctly? Check the 2 bolt holes in the shock absorbers are in the same position (possible manufacturing defect). I tighten up suspension bolts with the suspension compressed up to it ride height, maybe try that?
I really dont think it is the dampers being different, just need to eliminate the possibility. I already did tighten them up on the ground. The top mounts are mounted correctly, I checked and double checked when I fitted them. When on the ramp both wheels hang down the same amount.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you can't see anything untowards than I'd be inclined to fit the standard springs to your new shocks and see what it does. If the ride height becomes level than it must be the springs, if it remains uneven than try fitting the old shocks with the new springs and see what does. I know it's a chore but it's the only way to get the bottom of this. Also check the spring stiffness, makesure they are the same, (possible manufacturing defect).

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you can't see anything untowards than I'd be inclined to fit the standard springs to your new shocks and see what it does. If the ride height becomes level than it must be the springs, if it remains uneven than try fitting the old shocks with the new springs and see what does. I know it's a chore but it's the only way to get the bottom of this. Also check the spring stiffness, makesure they are the same, (possible manufacturing defect).
Sold the old springs months ago and the old dampers were thrown away. I doubt its the springs either, really. When I fitted a new anti roll bar and the drop links were disconnected the car leaned to one side even more, connecting the drop links improved it a bit. I ve also seen a similar problem on a car with std springs and dampers after the antiroll bar was replaced. I m starting to think the prbolem is somewhere in the subframe area, but nothing looks wrong.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.