Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 54 plate ***** 147 JTD 16v with a 6 speed manual gearbox.

Has anyone come across problems selecting 6th gear on this gearbox. Whenever I try to select 6th it just won't go into gear.

I've had this problem since I bought the car a couple of years back, it's something I intended to have looked at when I bought the car, but I've kept putting it off, up until now I've just used 5th gear for motorway driving, but recently I've been doing more motorway driving and started to notice a high pitched whirring noise coming from the gearbox when I get up to about 70mph, and I'm worried that motorway driving is causing damage to 5th gear.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the 6th gear selection problem?

Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
i had this very problem had to have a couple of attempts to get it in to 6th and my clutch has just gone at the weekend aswell as the gear box so hopeing it will run smoothly after work has been done ave heard you could try the selector plate might need replacing there is a guide on here some where

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yup sounds like the plastic linkage. Mine cracked last year 6th gear went then 1st a few months later. Have a look under the 'leather' cover on the gear stick for obvious signs of wear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts