Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Melbourne Australia.

I have a question regarding oil coming out of the flywheel bolt holes on a 1.9 litre Twin Spark when the bolts are out.

My wife recently fried her 147 TwinSpark engine during a heatwave and it seized (its summer here)....had already done 236,000 kms so it wasn't worth rebuilding. I sourced a replacement long motor with only 122,000 kms and had it shipped down from a Sydney based Alfa wrecker. When we were lifting it off the shipping pallet, despite the sump having been drained prior to shipment, oil oozed out of the flywheel bolt holes but not from around the main crankshaft seal. Is that normal? The Wrecker/Dismantler was adamant that the rear seal was perfect and didn't leak when the engine was run prior to removing it. Just wanted a second opinion please as to whether or not I should go to the expense of replacing the rear main seal before we bolt this engine in? We are replacing the the timing/cam belts, tensioners and water pump.

Regards, Gary H.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah, if the engine is out it's good to change the seal.
Its not that expensive. Around 25EUR in my country.

Can you imagine to not change it, mount the engine in the car and find out there's a leak? You'll have to drop the gearbox then to change it (it's easier than removing the engine again). That's 7-8 more service hours and it's gonna be a lot more expensive!

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
I'd replace the seal, the clutch and the slave while I had it out on the deck. I'd also change the cigarette seals in the rear main bearing cap. Unless the belts are known to be very new, I'd change them too.

Then your're done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts