Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After upgrading the stock paper air filter element, (opted for Autodelta's oil free one). I was wondering what, of anything can be done about the resonator?

As far as I can see, it's actually a part of the air filter box? On opening the housing, I have an intake trumpet, coming from the air intake, and a 90degree plastic elbow from what I assume is the resonator?

I have blanked this off, to see what happens, so far I'm unsure if there's any difference to sound or throttle response.

Anyone have any experience of this? What can be done etc? I'm pretty sure this won't damage the car, but please correct me if I'm wrong!

Andy

·
Registered
936 Posts
The resonator is there to quieten down the induction noise created by the intake valves, some people go for the V6 intake mod, (take resonator box off and put V6 intake hose onto airbox).

my resonator box didn't have the 'elbow' intake hose, so i bought a second hand one, since then the car runs allot smoother.

i'm not too sure about fiddling around with this, i've 'heard' that removing the resonator can damage the intake valves, but that's just gospel.

if you want to see whats inside the resonator box, i have one i cut in half to see what was inside...

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally come to the conclusion the car seems to pull better in lower gears, can't say I've noticed much difference in noise, but I fitted a CSC rear box on Thursday, so probably won't notice much. Can't see the resonator damaging anything, now it's just a pure feed into the engine.

Think it's different to the 156 as the resonator is attached to the airbox, not sure if it can be removed or not.

Would be interested in what's inside if you have any pics Chris?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, just looked at that, nice thread, from what I can see the resonator is just a silencer, similar to the rear exhaust box.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure what I expected tbh, shame I can't just whip mine off

1 - 7 of 7 Posts