Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read many many posts on unseizing & conversely dealing with loose gear-stick and non centering issues; I understand that the 156 and possibly the GT are provided with adjustment of the gearstick position using the 13mm bolt and changing the position of the small metal tab that rotates on the fitting which houses the "golden" bolt. The 147 arrangement is slightly different, is there an equivalent adjustment possible?

I noticed after replacing the top hat bushes at the gearbox end that the small tab piece that is bolted to the bushed housing and rests under the lip of the sprung gearbox selector shaft has both a very slight crank at the tip and has an elongated fixing hole at the other end, is there a correct way to reinstall this small part?

Auto part Automotive window part Transmission part Diagram

Our first 147 so learning...quickly

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Hi I think that if you have a position issue it is more likely to be the bushing in the block at the bottom of the lever inside the car.
To get at this though you will need to remove the block from under the car .
You als need to remove the front flexi section of the exhaust to get proper access.
You can get a complete new block or some of the parts for it from partsworld uk.
I think they are about £35-40.
There is also a poly bush on ebay for about £20-25 that replaces the original and hopefully doesn't need doing again.

Hope this helps.
They are a little bit more complicated than the 164 but still good fun :thumbup:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Gibot
Yes already quite impressed with this FL 2007 version, it has lots of warning lights and extra suspension bits :jester:

The exhaust is currently in the post so we took off the underside gear/h.brake cover to access the gear stick housing mechanism and had a good look, no cracks, housing debris or bits of bushing either plus its different to the 156 etc, see below so my newly bought repair kit is also still in the box:irked: The type on this car is as below and not the version with the seperate top housing which contains the pivot bushes and large ball socket piece.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-A...825251?hash=item2a47004063:g:sS8AAOSwmUdUXPA~

I also checked the cables which are securely attached at either end but am wondering if over the 7 years and 120k miles they have stretched?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Any help appreciated with this as its not gone well:depressed:

Before disconnecting anything we had all five forward and reverse gears no issues with the selection of them, other than vagueness at the gearstick selector and non returning position of the gearstick.

Now we have 3/4/5th and reverse but no first or second even though the gearstick notches through all 5 forward positions and reverse. First is actually 3rd and second is actually 4th, third is 3rd etc..

With the below diagram and assuming the cables are disconnected can someone confirm that with part A in position under the top lip of the gearbox linkage, when bolted up part B is vertical or at minus 90 degrees to part A.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts