Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced all my track rods and track rod ends a while back to track my car as the old ones were seized solid. A few months after that the car was MOT'd and advised on slight play in the track rods. I finally got round to looking into this in case the track rod was coming loose from the rack!

That was all OK but I have found that the movement is coming from the outer section of the track arm plunging into the 'fat section' of the track rod! I've never seen or heard of this before so my question is should that be happening? Is it some form of damper? It's not a slack movement, it's like its rubber mounted or oil filled within the fat section of the track rod? Any thoughts/help/words of wisdom because no-one I know has seen this before?

The image shows the track rods with the fat section just before the ball joint, the outer half of the rod is plunging into this by 1 or 2mm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just as a little update, I've been asking people at work and on my training courses (work for a Peugeot garage) and a fella on the training course says they are there to help reduce bump steer. This guy owns a TVR so I've gotta trust him.... Right!?

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
I was recently told, after having new track rods and track rod ends fitted, that there was play in the nearside track rod. I couldn't get my car aligned as a result and it turned out to be that the track rod was working it's way loose from the rack. As for the play, there is a ball joint in the track rod (which contains grease as you described) to allow movement but there shouldn't be any in-out movement. (giggity) After taking my car to a local tracking place they had to loosen the protective boot and re-tighten the track rod before they could align it. It may not be the same issue in your case but it's worth looking at. :thumbs:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked that the track rod wasn't working loose from the rack but this was OK. The movement isn't coming from the ball joint itself though, it's from the straight part of the rod after the ball joint. I took the boot off and had a good feel round while someone pulled on the wheel so I could feel where the movement was.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts