Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are they so soft ?

I have just had to sort out another set of wheels to replace my Ti alloys as 3 are buckled. I now have an expensive set of paper weights as apparently two of the wheels are too badly deformed to bother repairing. So probably weigh them in and get £50 for the lot from the scrappy. What a waste !!

Got a set of 17" Sele wheels to go on instead, which should be stronger and easier to clean.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Rubbish aren't they. What are you doing with the one that isn't buckled?

(IMO I would explore more options - Lepsons for one - as if three were really FUBAR, you would know about it - thump thump thump etc)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rubbish aren't they. What are you doing with the one that isn't buckled?

(IMO I would explore more options - Lepsons for one - as if three were really FUBAR, you would know about it - thump thump thump etc)
Yeah that's how I knew the wheels were buggered.

I dunno which wheel is the best but even the 4th wheel is probably in need of repair seeing as 3 of them are bent.

Like I say, will most likely just scrap them and get about £12 a wheel.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have "bent" two 16" multispokes over the past three years so it looks like most Alfa alloys do not like pot holes.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alfa multispokes are soft. The guy I went to see gets loads of wheels to repair from the Alfa dealer around the corner from him. Says Fiat and Alfa multispokes are made of tin foil :lol:

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Yup they are soft, they are just as bad on the 166.

Not all multispokes soft though, Strongest alfa alloys I've used are the GT 18's.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Is it just soft alloy or tyre pressures? The bmw 18's had a habit of getting bent all out of shape on cars that didnt run the specified pressures. Granted it was 42psi and thats a lot!!!

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Its not just an Alfa/Fiat problem if you look about different forums, and I have had a Vw and an Audi both with buckled alloys-the Audi had 4! handled like a pig till I changed them and my folks got a brand new Renault that had the front 2 alloys bucked from new-the garage reckoned it was when it was loaded onto the transporter that caused it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
"the garage reckoned it was when it was loaded onto the transporter that caused it."

Male cow manure! New cars get loaded onto transporters with cheap steel wheels to avoid exactly this...the dealer gets the alloys separately to fit at their garage.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
"the garage reckoned it was when it was loaded onto the transporter that caused it."

Male cow manure! New cars get loaded onto transporters with cheap steel wheels to avoid exactly this...the dealer gets the alloys separately to fit at their garage.
cant agree with you there .......all transporters ive seen with new cars on..unregistered have alloys from factory ......

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Not sure about that-can't speak for all manufacturers but I live up the road from Nissan and most of the cars come out with alloys on, they stick big white plastic discs over them to stop them getting scratched but have seen the stock yard guys hoofing them onto the transporters like they are auditioning for Dukes of Hazard!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I have swapped the tin foil Ti wheels out for some 17 inch Selespeed alloys. Looks good, although I do prefer the look of the Ti wheels, the ride is much better when not running on square rims !!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts