Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Done a fair amount of searching on here regarding this problem, however, I'm not completely sure what to do.
My 147 has developed a seriously loud suspension squeak on the drivers side, it sounds like the suspensions about to fall apart!
I took it to my local Kwik Fit, they had a look and sprayed lubricant over all of the bushes/ball joints, however, if anything, it just made the problem worse!
Some people say on here that it could be the lower wish bone, upper wish bone or ARB bushes (?).. is there a definitive way that I could find out which part to replace?

There has also been a knocking noise coming from the back of the car, ever since I've had it but I'm not sure if that's related or not?

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hi all,

Done a fair amount of searching on here regarding this problem, however, I'm not completely sure what to do.
My 147 has developed a seriously loud suspension squeak on the drivers side, it sounds like the suspensions about to fall apart!
I took it to my local Kwik Fit, they had a look and sprayed lubricant over all of the bushes/ball joints, however, if anything, it just made the problem worse!
Some people say on here that it could be the lower wish bone, upper wish bone or ARB bushes (?).. is there a definitive way that I could find out which part to replace?

There has also been a knocking noise coming from the back of the car, ever since I've had it but I'm not sure if that's related or not?

Thanks in advance !
Often upperwishbone bushes. Should be taken out and greased to be effective -quite easy job. I have had a terrible creaking noise from the front of my car. It also happened when the steering was moved -as you described it seemed like the suspension was going to fail. Turned out to be bottom wishbone ball joint. I just injected some grease and after about a week or so the noise had gone. The rubber to the ball joint had a small cut in it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Often upperwishbone bushes. Should be taken out and greased to be effective -quite easy job. I have had a terrible creaking noise from the front of my car. It also happened when the steering was moved -as you described it seemed like the suspension was going to fail. Turned out to be bottom wishbone ball joint. I just injected some grease and after about a week or so the noise had gone. The rubber to the ball joint had a small cut in it.
Thanks for the feedback bud. When you say 'injected' some grease, how do you exactly mean? Did you do it without dismantling anything?

Kwik Fit yesterday sprayed a hell of a lot of lubricant on all of the bushes/ball joints. Drove the car this morning and I couldn't hear any squeaks but I suspect they may reappear when I drive the car for longer later. May need to try this fix on the weekend

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Top or bottom wishbones creak and squeak. Roll bar and drop links tend to clunk. Any mechanic not working at kwikfit should be able to diagnose and replace by having a good poke around.
The rear knock is a little more unusual. Just check it's not your exhaust before you start exploring the rear suspension.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Thanks for the feedback bud. When you say 'injected' some grease, how do you exactly mean? Did you do it without dismantling anything?

Kwik Fit yesterday sprayed a hell of a lot of lubricant on all of the bushes/ball joints. Drove the car this morning and I couldn't hear any squeaks but I suspect they may reappear when I drive the car for longer later. May need to try this fix on the weekend
I injected through the rubber using a large syringe (warmed the grease first to make it easier). The ball joint rubber had a small cut so I had nothing to lose as I was faced with replacing the ower arm anyway. 6 months on and it is just starting to creak again so will have to repeat. The ball joint is otherwise fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Top or bottom wishbones creak and squeak. Roll bar and drop links tend to clunk. Any mechanic not working at kwikfit should be able to diagnose and replace by having a good poke around.
The rear knock is a little more unusual. Just check it's not your exhaust before you start exploring the rear suspension.
Thanks for the info! I did have a look at the exhaust when it was on the ramp @ Kwikfit, the whole exhaust (back box to front) is a little wobbly, looks like the rubber bungs that hold it are a little loose. How would I solve that?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I injected through the rubber using a large syringe (warmed the grease first to make it easier). The ball joint rubber had a small cut so I had nothing to lose as I was faced with replacing the ower arm anyway. 6 months on and it is just starting to creak again so will have to repeat. The ball joint is otherwise fine.
Ahh ok, I may just give this a go! Thanks

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
The exhaust should wobble a bit but if it can hit the floor of the car the noise is sometimes mistaken for suspension issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts