Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I serviced the alfa tonight which was a nightmare alone as some previous owner retard has nearly stripped the sump plug and put in on so tight it was ridiculous (it took a half a mater long bar to remove) along with the oil filter which is now full of screw driver holes.

Afterwards the battery died when i went to start the car again. I got a friend with jump leads and now it just brings up the immobiliser fault message on the dash even when the car has jump leads on and loads of power?

I need the car for work tomoro and the rac is on route but im stumped as to why the piece of crap still wont start even with power? Ive read on google that its the battery but with power why will it still not start the aerial should be fine?

cheers mick

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I need to add the battery died with the key in the ignition, i have no spare key and the rac guy found this fault code

u1600 electronic key immobiliser system fault

any ideas?

I was just about to get a new key cut by previous owner so if i get it towed to the dealers would they be able to re-code the key with the new one aswell? if it is the case that the key has lost its code

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
have you charge battery up and when you turn key does code light go out on dash? i suggest disconnecting battery again and re try

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you charge battery up and when you turn key does code light go out on dash? i suggest disconnecting battery again and re try
The rac lad put the leads on it again and took the battery off just there and it did nothing :/

The light isnt on the dash i think, it just brings (immobiliser failure) on the screen after it beeps each time you turn the ignition on

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fitted a new battery today and its problem solved, damn alfa's are weird haha.

My dads an old school mechanic and we had a family garage for 50 years, he argued till he was blue in the face that if it wont start with jump leads on its not the battery so you can imagine his face when it fired up first time :lol:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Nice one, now change that 157 to a 147 :D

G

·
0 Posts
I fitted a new battery today and its problem solved, damn alfa's are weird haha.

My dads an old school mechanic and we had a family garage for 50 years, he argued till he was blue in the face that if it wont start with jump leads on its not the battery so you can imagine his face when it fired up first time :lol:
Hey... Careful now... Nothing wrong with Old school mechanic's:lol: Common sense was instilled in us at an early age... I can see the logic in your dad's thinking though!

It never ceases to amaze me that Alfa's are ,shall we say quirky!
They don't like jump leads at all. I have come to the conclusion its the way the power take off from the terminals isn't quite routed the same as other makes of car.... In other words, using jump leads and you are peeing in the wind:rolleyes:

I was lucky enough to get a good spare battery from a Fiat Marea recently for a fiver from the local breakers... If the call is ever needed to use it, that would be my preference until I can get the old battery charged, tested and also the alternator charging state checked (vital on all Alfa's BTW when it comes to battery failures) and it's FREE to check at most tyre and exhaust centres, so abuse it!.

Bet your Dad said "shouldn't have bought a bloody Alfa son" Mine did and so did all my family... 4 years later, guess what they all now drive:cheese: Yep... A fleet of Alfa's... Rod for my own back though... Designated mechanic :rolleyes::D

Welcome to the confusing, frustrating but very rewarding world of Alfa ownership:thumbs:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey... Careful now... Nothing wrong with Old school mechanic's:lol: Common sense was instilled in us at an early age... I can see the logic in your dad's thinking though!

It never ceases to amaze me that Alfa's are ,shall we say quirky!
They don't like jump leads at all. I have come to the conclusion its the way the power take off from the terminals isn't quite routed the same as other makes of car.... In other words, using jump leads and you are peeing in the wind:rolleyes:

I was lucky enough to get a good spare battery from a Fiat Marea recently for a fiver from the local breakers... If the call is ever needed to use it, that would be my preference until I can get the old battery charged, tested and also the alternator charging state checked (vital on all Alfa's BTW when it comes to battery failures) and it's FREE to check at most tyre and exhaust centres, so abuse it!.

Bet your Dad said "shouldn't have bought a bloody Alfa son" Mine did and so did all my family... 4 years later, guess what they all now drive:cheese: Yep... A fleet of Alfa's... Rod for my own back though... Designated mechanic :rolleyes::D

Welcome to the confusing, frustrating but very rewarding world of Alfa ownership:thumbs:

I got a new exide battery for £40 quid so i cant grumble :thumbs:

Yeah hes alright he used to have some great cars like his HF turbo but i remember it needing a FULL new floor every mot :lol: , hes just an old crank now but he actually likes alfas as my 156 was no bother really...until i raced a 106 gti in my youth and the brakes cooled causing it to roll into his house when i lived there :wow: :lol: damn rear disk handbrakes:D

Thanks for the welcome though, ive got to do the wheel bearing this weekend as it starting to slow the car down now so must be seizing up :tut:

My alfa is my daily car and my 205 gti is my summer toy but im starting to think i should of done it the other way round as the pug always keeps going even when it breaks its like a spitfire with bullet holes all over it, still makes it home haha.

I must be an idiot as im getting a lotus in the summer hopefully to keep up with my brother and his exige so ill have an alfa,205 and a lotus, 3 reliable cars ey.....:rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Jump leads connected to a dead battery are fighting an uphill battle as the dead battery affects the available current.Alwatys connect direct by swapping batteries or connect to the leads off the dead battery.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I guess a dead battery wouldn't take a charge, whereas a flat battery will...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had a similar issue, car wouldn't jump start at all. Trickle charged the knackered battery for 20 hours and 'hey presto!' fires up first time every time now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts