Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just swapped from a worn out 156 TS to a 147 JTD and needed to address the pesky tight plastic bushes which makes the gearshift tight in the neutral plane. Having read all the great info, when I came to do the job, I found you can get the pivot pin ( and hence get the two plastic 'Top Hat' shaped inserts) out from the plate without taking off any of the control cables or taking the plate off the top of the gearbox! Just undo the large nylock nut; the washer, spring and then tap the pin out with the cable still attached. I just sanded the inside of the old bushes and the shaft surface and greased them well before putting back in the control plate. Job done; gearshift now 'floats like a butterfly'. :)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
One of the most satisfying fixes on the 147, heres hoping that third gear synchro isnt mashed because of them pesky bushes....:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
stiff 3 & 4 gears only

I've tried this before and it seemed to work for a while,
but looks like its back again..
Gear lever swings freely from left to right, and fine from 1-2nd gears.

Its mainly 3 to 4th gears that are the problem, cant get it outa 4th sometimes.
Did anyone else have these problems also?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've tried this before and it seemed to work for a while,
but looks like its back again..
Gear lever swings freely from left to right, and fine from 1-2nd gears.

Its mainly 3 to 4th gears that are the problem, cant get it outa 4th sometimes.
Did anyone else have these problems also?
I believe this to be a different problem than tight bushes in the gearchange mechanism.
If I remember properly, this difficulty in the 3/4th gear plane is often attributed to swarf build up in the end casing of the gearbox.
Taking off the end casing and cleaning out the swarf is often all that is needed.
Hope this helps.

:)

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I believe this to be a different problem than tight bushes in the gearchange mechanism.
If I remember properly, this difficulty in the 3/4th gear plane is often attributed to swarf build up in the end casing of the gearbox.
Taking off the end casing and cleaning out the swarf is often all that is needed.
Hope this helps.

:)
I think the build-up of swarf normally stops you from selecting 4th altogether.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How easy is it to get at the gearbox end plate? inside the wheel well ?
I've had problems getting it out 4th sometimes.
I assume I have to drain the gear oil also..

This Alfa is costly, just failed its MOT yesterday, needs front A/Roll bar bushings & drop links now..
Not expensive but tricky work, might have to buy the whole roll bar if cant get bushings on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts