Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 147 is not starting properly at the moment. Wonder if any one has some ideas what the problem could be. The starter motor is working fine, but at the point when the engine comes off the starter motor and should start ticking over itself the car either

a) splutters badly for several seconds, not responding to the throttle pedal, before finally bursting into normal life,
or b) the engine just dies.

This mornin i prob had to try 15 times to get the engine started, it simply died every time i stopped the starter motor. Problem only really happens when the engine is cold, however even when the engine is at full temp, it is still struggling to start, although no where near as much as when it is cold. Seems like the engine is just not getting the fuel it needs. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Have you changed the spark plugs? The problem wouldn't be so apparent when the engine is warm as the warm cylinder head would help ignite the fuel more easily even though its the spark that makes it ignite and not the compression like with diesels.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm, might be the spark plugs, cause my car has been chipped but the map is not 100% at the moment, it needs to be remapped, and as such the car is running a little rich, which caused the spark plugs to get dirty.

However when this happened last time it didnt cause any starting problems. Maybe I get a different problem whenever they get dirty. Well i will be sending the car in next week, hopefully it will be a quick fix. Thanks for your input, apprieciate it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts