Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having found your website and read some of the posts i'm a little concerned about the engine. When i start the engine there is a slight metalic rattle for a fraction of a second. It doesn't sound like a diesel and happens whether the engine is hot or cold.

Car revs ok and sounds great otherwise.

Cambelt and variator was done 24k ago so not due for another 12ish. A friend heard the noise today and told me that's how his 156 sounded just before the cambelt went.

What should i do?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi
I have a 156 and mine makes a rattle on every start up for a second or 2, well it use to as today whilst driving it just cut out and i had to tow it home. Not had a chance to look at it yet but there was no loise that i could hear when it happened so im hoping it is not a cam belt. The injection system malfunction light came on so im hoping its a fuel problem rather than cam belt.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Having found your website and read some of the posts i'm a little concerned about the engine. When i start the engine there is a slight metalic rattle for a fraction of a second. It doesn't sound like a diesel and happens whether the engine is hot or cold.

Car revs ok and sounds great otherwise.

Cambelt and variator was done 24k ago so not due for another 12ish. A friend heard the noise today and told me that's how his 156 sounded just before the cambelt went.

What should i do?
It sounds to me that the starter solenoid is sticking slightly.
The starter needs removed, dissassembled, cleaned and put back on.
Should do the trick.
Its a shame it's located on the back of the block and is a pain to work on.

I have had a car that did this and didn't cause a problem. Just noisy.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. It's the alternator/solenoid sticking. The noise stopped by itself all of a sudden, but I took it out and cleaned it up anyway just in case

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. Took the car to Rusper Alfa on the way to work today and they seem pretty sure it's the starter motor.

Phew!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts